County Road 5 detour ends June 1 along I-35 near Albert Lea
ALBERT LEA, Minn. – The detour of Freeborn County Road 5 at Interstate 35 near Albert Lea will end on Tuesday, June 1, when crews are scheduled to complete bridge beam painting, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Motorists will continue to detour around where Freeborn County Road 5 crosses under I-35 as County Road 5 will be closed through the final painting and cleanup, which is scheduled to be completed June 1.
Motorists should slow down and pay attention as they approach a work zone. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Obey posted speed limits. The fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Drive undistracted. Avoid using phones, mobile devices, adjusting the radio – even eating – while in work zones.
- Move over. Give workers room to safely complete their work.
- Know before you go. Get information about traffic and road conditions at 511mn.org or download the free 511mn app at Google Play or the App Store.
- Be patient. Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Do the zipper merge.
- Avoid making unnecessary lane changes.
- Never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
- Expect work zones to constantly change. Day to day you could experience lane shifts, closures, narrower lanes, moving workers and vehicles.
- To learn more, go to MnDOT’s summer work zone website.
Stay connected, informed
- Learn more about the MnDOT southeast Minnesota construction projects and sign up for updates.
- Interested in a job with MnDOT? Career information for the State of Minnesota can be found at the Minnesota Management and Budget website. Come join us.