Road construction on Hwy 59 south of Thief River Falls starts May 15
Motorists will experience detours throughout the construction project
BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation announced today beginning May 15, construction will begin on Highway 59 south of Thief River Falls. Motorists can expect a detour beginning May 17. The project includes replacing culverts, resurfacing Highway 59 as well as constructing a roundabout at Pennington County Road 3.
The contractor for this $8.6 million dollar project is RJ Zavoral and Sons. This project will create a safer, longer lasting driving surface, improve drainage and a safer intersection. It is estimated to be complete by mid-August, weather permitting. Visit the project website for more information, detour maps and sign up for email updates.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow-moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.