Road closures and no travel advisories lifted on most hwys in SW MN
WILLMAR, Minn. – (9:30 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation has lifted most of the road closures and no travel advisories in southwest Minnesota District 8. Four hwy segments remain closed due to stranded vehicles and/or blowing and drifting snow; however, they are expected to reopen later today.
Motorists are urged to use caution as blowing and drifting snow have created icy conditions throughout the region.
- Hwy 7 from Montevideo to Clara City
- Hwy 212 from Hwy 75 to Granite Falls
- Hwy 14 from Florence to Tracy
- Hwy 30 from Pipestone to Woodstock
When a road is closed it is illegal to travel in that area. Motorists can be fined up to $1,000 and/or sentenced to 90 days in jail. In addition, if travelers need to be rescued from a closed road, other expenses and penalties may apply.
Winter driving tips
- Stay alert for snowplows, which turn or exit frequently and often with little warning; they may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow; don’t drive into a snow cloud.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions.
- Turn on your headlights and wear your seat belt.
- Turn off the cruise control and don’t drive distracted.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.