Westbound I-90 from Jackson to Fairmont closing at 8 pm
MANKATO, Minn. – (7:45 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation is closing westbound Interstate 90 from Jackson to Fairmont at 8 p.m. Strong winds continue to create blowing and drifting snow, significantly reducing visibility.
Highway and Interstate closures:
- Westbound Interstate 90 from Jackson to Fairmont
- Hwy 30 east of Darfur to Hwy 4
- Rock County
- Nobles County
- Cottonwood County
- Portions of state hwys in Watonwan County. Hwy 60 west of St. James is closed; Hwy 60 east of St. James is open
- Portions of state hwys in Jackson County
- I-90 from the South Dakota border to Jackson is closed; I-90 east of Jackson is open
MnDOT reminds motorists that it is illegal to travel on a closed road and if a motorist requires rescuing, they are liable for all related rescue costs.
No travel advised:
- Hwy 14 Sanborn to Sleepy Eye
- Hwy 4 St. James to Fairfax
- Hwy 68 from Hwy 4 to north of Evan
No Travel Advised means that the roadway has deteriorated and/or visibility has been reduced to the point that it is very dangerous to travel; there are reports of whiteout conditions; and some weather conditions can be severe enough that road treatments are not effective, and conditions can become life-threatening for stranded travelers.
The road closures and no travel advisories are expected to remain overnight and until conditions improve on Friday.
MnDOT District 7, serving the Mankato and Windom areas, is not staffed for 24-hour coverage. Crews in southcentral and southwest Minnesota are expected to be out late tonight and will resume operations early Friday morning.
Sign up for Travel Alerts
Motorists can sign up for email or text travel alerts for state hwys at mndot.gov/d7 by clicking “Email and text updates” under the “Connect with us” heading. Choose to receive messages via email or text message. Then, choose the “South Central MN” under the “Travel Alerts” category.