MnDOT 2022 construction season: nearly 260 projects advance traffic safety, mobility and accessibility
ST. PAUL, Minn. – As winter weather arrives across most of the state, the Minnesota Department of Transportation is wrapping up the 2022 construction season during which the agency advanced or completed 258 road and bridge projects.
“This year’s robust road construction season significantly improved Minnesota’s transportation system with new roads, bridges, safer intersections, and improved accessibility for people who walk, bike or roll to their local destinations,” said MnDOT Commissioner Nancy Daubenberger. “With traffic volumes back to pre-pandemic levels, we thank all Minnesotans for their patience with our road construction projects and slowing down in work zones to keep highway workers safe.”
Some work zones around the state may remain active as work wraps up in November. Motorists should stay alert, watch for workers and equipment, and give workers room to safely complete their work.
Major projects completed in 2022
Notable projects completed during the 2022 construction season include the four year project to improve I-94 between Maple Grove and Clearwater, improvements to I-94/35E near downtown St. Paul, completing 12 miles of improvements on Highway 36 between Little Canada and Stillwater, improving nine intersections and resurfacing on Highway 71 in Bemidji, and resurfacing 13 miles of I-90 between the South Dakota border and Beaver Creek in southwest Minnesota. The agency has also made significant progress on the first year of the final stretch of Highway 14 expansion in southern Minnesota between Nicollet and New Ulm.
More construction highlights by region can be found below and at www.mndot.gov/construction.
- I-94 and I-35E project in St. Paul – Completed construction that began in July 2021 and included resurfacing, repairs to ramps and frontage roads, improved drainage and upgraded storm sewers, bridge improvements, and improved pedestrian sidewalks.
- Highway 77 Bloomington to Minneapolis – Resurfaced Highway 77 between the Minnesota River in Bloomington and Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis, added center median barrier to improve safety, upgraded pedestrian/bicycle accessibility at intersections, improve drainage.
- Highway 10 Anoka – Crews completed year one of a multi-year project that will eliminate the traffic signals on Highway 10 in Anoka, construct new interchanges, repair bridges, better connect sidewalks and trails, and improve connections to the highway and community.
Northern Minnesota (MnDOT Districts 1 and 2)
- Highway 194 Hermantown – Completed intersection safety improvements in Hermantown, including Highway 53/194 and a roundabout at Hwy 194/Midway Road. The project also resurfaced Highway 194.
- I-35 Barnum – Resurfaced 6.5 miles of northbound I-35 near Barnum.
- Highway 37 Iron Junction – Installed a new roundabout at Highway 37/Saint Louis County Road 7, south of Iron Junction.
- Highway 71 Bemidji – Resurfaced Highway 71 between Highway 197 and Winter Sumac Road, constructed new roundabout at Highway 71/Anne Street, intersection improvements at nine locations along the corridor.
- Highway 75 and 175 in Hallock – Resurfaced and improved accessibility along both highways.
- Highway 92 north of Zerkel – Resurfaced and widened shoulders on Highway 92 between Clearwater County Road 35 and Highway 200.
- Highway 2 Fosston – Restriped to switch from a four-lane to a three-lane section. The three-lane restripe will be in place until the corridor is scheduled for reconstruction.
Central Minnesota (MnDOT Districts 3 and 4)
- I-94 Maple Grove to Clearwater – Completed the last of four years of construction to improve safety, ride quality, commercial access and traffic flow on I-94 between Maple Grove and Clearwater. In 2022, crews completed construction on six miles of I-94 between St. Michael and Albertville, 15 miles between Monticello and Clearwater, and the eastbound I-94 Enfield Rest Area.
- 169 Redefine Elk River – Completed first year of major construction on a multi-year project to convert three miles of Highway 169 through Elk River to a freeway. Crews completed improvements at the Highway 10/101/169 interchange, a new northbound bridge, and the new 197th Avenue bridge over Highway 169. The project will improve traffic flow, increase capacity and improve motorist and pedestrian safety.
- Highway 23 Foley to Milaca – Resurfaced 13 miles of highway, improved access and safety at multiple intersections, constructed a new roundabout in Foley, improved drainage infrastructure.
- Highway 65/23 Mora – Replaced the Highway 65 (Highway 23) bridge over the Snake River and installed multi-use trail along the west side of the road to improve pedestrian and motorist safety and access.
- Highway 29 near Glenwood – Constructed new bridge on Highway 29, spanning the railroad and Highway 55, and new roundabout at Hwy 29/160th Street.
- Highway 87 in Frazee – Reconstructed and resurfaced Highway 87 in Frazee, replaced city utilities, improved pedestrian and bicycle access.
- Highway 200 Mahnomen to Roy Lake – Widened shoulders along Highway 200 between Mahnomen and Roy Lake, replaced bridge/culverts and improved pedestrian safety. Project resumes in Spring 2023.
Southeast Minnesota (MnDOT District 6)
- Highway 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls – Completed second year of a three-year project. In 2022, crews reconstructed 6.5 miles of southbound Highway 52, built a new interchange at Highway 52 and Highway 57/Goodhue County Road 8, and replaced the southbound Highway 52 bridge over Highway 60 east.
- Highway 43 Winona – Construct four new roundabouts between Highway 61 and Sarnia Street in Winona, including the first two-lane roundabout in the area, replace city water and sewer.
- Highway 65, Albert Lea Main Street– Reconstructed Highway 65 between Newton Ave. and the Shell Rock River Bridge, improved drainage to reduce flood events, repaved road from Shell Rock River Bridge to Sorenson Road, install new reduced conflict intersections (also known as “J-turn” intersections), improve pedestrian accessibility, install new signal and lighting.
Southwest Minnesota (MnDOT District 7 and District 8)
- I-90 South Dakota border to Beaver Creek – Resurfaced 13 miles of I-90 with concrete pavement overlay, reconstructed shoulders, repaired guardrail and improved drainage.
- Highway 86 Lakefield – Reconstructed 1.3 miles through City of Lakefield, replaced or improved utilities, lighting, drainage and sidewalks.
- Highway 263 Ceylon – Resurfaced between Ceylon and I-90, paved shoulders, added lighting, updated utilities, improved drainage and replaced guardrail.
- Highway 212 in Glencoe – Constructed two reduced conflict intersections (also known as “J-turn” intersections), installed permanent snow fence, improved pedestrian access and safety.
- Highway 68 Minneota to Marshall – Widened shoulders and replaced two culverts along 11 miles of Highway 68, replaced three culverts near Porter.
For a complete list of current and future MnDOT construction projects, including plans and studies, see Minnesota state highway projects.