Hwy 4 closed north of Hector for corner excavations
WILLMAR, Minn. – Hwy 4 is temporarily closed north of Hector today through July 27. Traffic is detoured to U.S. hwy 212, Renville County Road 16, and Renville County Road 11. MnDOT is performing excavations for section corners on Hwy 4 from 835th Avenue to 850th Avenue.
During excavations, a hole measuring six feet long by six feet wide by six feet deep is dug in the roadway. The excavations are necessary to perpetuate corner locations from the Public Land Survey System. Information gathered will be used for future hwy improvement projects.
Excavations may continue through July 28, depending on weather conditions and other unforeseeable circumstances.
Work zone reminders
MnDOT asks drivers to always:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient and expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Learn about road construction projects and studies (2022-2024) in southwest Minnesota and sign up for email updates at MnDOT’s website