Hwy 61 intersection construction begins July 18 north of Red Wing at CR 18, Hwy 316
RED WING, Minn. – Highway 61 construction begins Monday, July 18 at two intersections north of Red Wing as construction crews begin building a reduced conflict intersection and a roundabout, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Road closures and detours are planned for Goodhue County Road 18 on July 18.
Road closures and detours are planned for Hwy 316 on July 25.
- The detour for County Road 18 is to use Goodhue County Road 31, which will allow motorists to connect to Prairie Island Blvd to reach the Prairie Island Indian Community, Treasure Island Resort and Casino, the Prairie Island Nuclear Plant and other destinations.
- Detours of Hwy 316 and 130th Ave. will direct motorists west of the intersection on Hwy 61 and then either north or south to connect back with their road. They can also utilize side roads to reach their destinations. Detours will occur in stages.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving).
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones.
- Check out other MnDOT southeast Minnesota construction projects and sign up for construction updates.