Construction begins on Highway 14 Restricted Crossing U-Turn at Eagle Lake on May 16
Project to improve safety at high-crash intersection
MANKATO, Minn. – Motorists are advised of lane restrictions on Highway 14 at the intersection of Blue Earth County Road 56 near Eagle Lake beginning Monday, May 16, weather permitting, as crews begin construction of a Restricted Crossing U-Turn (RCUT, also referred to as a J-turn) to improve the safety at the intersection.
No detour is expected for through traffic; however, there will be phases during construction that will restrict local access to Hwy 14 in Eagle Lake. Visit the project website to view the staging maps.
The intersection of Hwy 14 and Blue Earth County Road 56 is experiencing a high frequency of crashes, including fatal and serious injury crashes. MnDOT worked closely with Blue Earth County and the City of Eagle Lake to develop design alternatives and collect community input. Feedback received was considered and the project partners selected a Restricted Crossing U-Turn as the alternative for the intersection.
Blue Earth County Road 17 and Blue Earth County Road 55 will also receive minor improvements during construction.
Visit the project website for more project information and to sign up for email updates. Information will also be shared on the MnDOT South Central Minnesota Facebook group and the MnDOT District 7 Twitter account.
Dirt Merchant, Inc. was awarded the project with a bid of $1,186,013.88. The project is expected to be complete in late June, weather permitting.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Drive the speed limit. It helps create a consistent, more predictable traffic flow for everyone.
- Don’t drive distracted. Drivers need to be alert especially in work zones, which constantly change due to lane shifts, closures and moving workers and vehicles.
- Move over to give workers room to safely complete their work.
- Avoid unnecessary lane changes.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times