Weather forecasts delay start of Hwy 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls construction
ZUMBROTA, Minn. – Cold, wet weather and the forecast for more of it have delayed the planned start of the Hwy 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls project , according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The contractor and MnDOT will be reviewing weather forecasts next week as they determine when to begin the work. Dry pavement and warmer temperatures are needed to apply temporary striping for the traffic changes that are planned.
Once construction begins, motorists can expect traffic delays through the construction zone during mornings, evenings, and weekends.
This is year two of the Hwy 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls project . Work includes:
- Rebuild Hwy 52 southbound from (4,000 feet north) Goodhue CR 9 to Goodhue CR 50
- Build a new interchange at the intersection of Hwy 57/Goodhue CR 8 and Hwy 52
- Replace the southbound bridge over Hwy 52 for Hwy 60 East
- Build Goodhue CR 14 connection, frontage roads and cul de sacs
The following lane closures, lane shifts and detours will begin once construction starts and last for approximately seven months.
Single lane closures and head-to-head traffic
Crews will be reducing Hwy 52 to a single lane in each direction beginning one mile north of County 1 Blvd. and extending to 415th St.
- Motorists can expect single lane closures and lane shifts for approximately 6.3 miles. Signs will give advance notice of lane changes.
CR 9 Detour
- Motorists traveling southbound on Hwy 52 will exit at County 1 Blvd. to access CR 9.
- Motorists traveling on CR 9 will utilize County 1 Blvd. north to connect to Hwy 52 southbound.
CR 8 Detour
- Motorists traveling southbound on Hwy 52 will exit at CR 1 and travel south to connect to CR 8 on the west side of Hwy 52, or travel south on CR 1, easts on CR 9 to connect to CR 8 on the east side of Hwy 52.
- Motorists traveling on Hwy 52 north will exit at CR 9, and travel east to connect to CR 8, or travel west, head southbound on County 1 Blvd. to connect to CR 8.
Hwy 57 and CR 8 at Hwy 52 interchange construction detour
- Motorists traveling northbound on Hwy 52 will exit at Hwy 60 west to connect to Hwy 57.
- Motorists traveling on Hwy 57 will travel east on Hwy 60 to connect to Hwy 52.
Roadway access closures
Permanent township roadway access closures to Hwy 52 will occur in conjunction with the roadway restrictions. These closures are permanent to improve long-term safety along Hwy 52 by reducing uncontrolled intersection access. These access closures include:
- 90th Avenue
- 100th Avenue
- 110th Avenue
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving).
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones.