Interstate 90 rest areas near Jackson reopen to the public January 5
MANKATO, Minn. — The eastbound and westbound Interstate 90 Clear Lake and Des Moines Rest Areas near Jackson are expected to fully reopen to the public today, January 5, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The rest areas near Jackson have been under reconstruction since June 2020 with limited facilities to travelers including parking and portable bathrooms.
The original building sites were constructed back in 1974 and 1975. The improvements at the rest areas include:
- New energy efficient, ADA compliant buildings, picnic shelters and storage buildings
- New site amenities, including accessible walking trails, children’s play area, fenced pet areas, landscaping and walkway lighting
- Improved pedestrian and parking lot lighting
- Additional truck parking to support increased freight movements
- Smoother pavement
- Paving of the westbound Des Moines rest area located west of Jackson is scheduled for 2022.
To find a rest area in Minnesota, use MnDOT’s website search tool to learn about services and access at each site: mndot.gov/restareas.