Hwy 14 project celebration scheduled Nov. 9 to mark the opening of road to traffic
CLAREMONT, Minn. – The public is invited to attend a celebration event on Nov. 9 for the opening of traffic on the new Hwy 14 route between Dodge Center and Owatonna, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The Hwy 14 expansion project celebration will be at 10 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 9 south of Claremont. The site will be determined more closely to the event based on whether traffic is on the new highway, but it will either be at Dodge County Rd 1 where the overpass crosses over the highway or at Dodge County Road 3, an interchange with the highway. Both are just south of Claremont. Mn DOT will announce the site via news release, project email updates and social media posts.
Motorists are reminded that construction work continues at the site as crews prepare to open the road to traffic. There is additional work that will take place on the project site to complete the project in spring-summer of 2022.
- Trucks and buses on Hwy 14 that are required to stop for at-grade railroad crossings should follow detour signs to avoid the rail cross near Steele County Road 180, because no pullover lane is available. Trucks will utilize County Road 180 and Steele County Road 43 in each direction
- The detour will be in place until the new Hwy 14 route opens for traffic
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. Mn DOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones