Detour removed for Hwy 271 resurfacing project; work continues under traffic
WILLMAR, Minn. – The detour has been removed south of Hendricks for the Highway 271 resurfacing project. Work will continue under traffic for both the north and south portions of the project. Hwy 271 is being resurfaced from Highway 19 to the Minnesota/South Dakota border, except for the town of Hendricks (Railroad Street/County Road 17 to Henderson Street).
Resurfacing operations continue using temporary lane closures. A flagging operation and pilot car will direct traffic through both work zones (south and north of Hendricks). Travelers should use caution and expect brief delays.
Additional project information
Benefits of the project include a smoother road surface and extended pavement life. The project cost is $2.1 million, and Duininck, Inc., is the contractor. Work is scheduled to be complete by October 15, weather permitting.
- Follow the project at mndot.gov/d8/projects/hwy271hendricks
Work zone travel
MnDOT asks travelers to always slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution. Other reminders:
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times