Hwy 53 intersection improvements near Fayal Township start August 16
DULUTH, Minn. — Construction on two Hwy 53 intersections near Fayal Township and south of Eveleth will begin on August 16. These intersections have been designated for revisions due to crash history and severity.
At Hwy 53 and Miller Trunk Rd, new turn lanes, a raised median, and an acceleration lane will be added. Access from Miller Trunk Rd to southbound Hwy 53 will be permanently removed. During construction, motorists should expect lane closures.
At Hwy 53 and East Long Lake Rd, access to northbound Hwy 53 will be permanently removed. On the other side of the intersection, all access from Bodas Rd to Hwy 53 will be permanently removed. A turnaround area will be installed at the closure spot. The permanent closures will take effect when construction starts, and a detour will be posted.
For project maps and more information visit the website: mndot.gov/d1/projects/hwy-53-intersections.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.