Hwy 29 to temporarily close between Alexandria and Glenwood starting July 19
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. — On Monday, July 19, motorists will encounter a road closure on Highway 29 between Interstate 94 in Alexandria to Highway 55 in Glenwood. Traffic will be detoured to Highway 27, Highway 114 and Highway 55 for approximately nine days, as crews replace a culvert near Lake Reno.
The work is part of the Minnesota Department of Transportation’s districtwide culvert improvement project in west central Minnesota. Crews will be replacing and repairing existing culverts along several Minnesota highways, including:
- Highway 28, west of Beardsley
- Highway 29, between Glenwood and Interstate 94
- Highway 75, between Highway 55 and Wheaton
- Highway 79, west of Erdahl
- Highway 104, west of Terrace
- Highway 108, east of Ottertail
- Highway 108, north of Henning
- Highway 114, between Lowry and Highway 27
- Highway 210, east of Fergus Falls
- Highway 210, east of Vining
Immediately following the work on Highway 29, crews will close Highway 114 north of Lowry. Traffic will be detoured to County Road 26, County Road 7 and County Road 11 in Farwell for approximately five days, weather permitting.
For all other culvert locations, motorists can expect to encounter lane closures and flaggers where crews are working. There are 11 total culverts that will be repaired. Depending on the fix, crews may spend anywhere from one to seven days at each culvert location.
Work zone safety is the responsibility of all. MnDOT urges travelers to always drive with caution, and reminds everyone to:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.