Hwy 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls project construction to start July 14
ZUMBROTA, Minn. – Construction is scheduled to begin July 14 on the Hwy 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls project, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Work will begin on the south end of the project near Zumbrota and crews will work north, building nine temporary crossover lanes on Hwy 52 to move traffic away from the work zone. This work will also include a small temporary intersection widening in the northeastern portion of 5th Street in Zumbrota at the entrance ramp to Hwy 52 northbound to move traffic away from the Hwy 60 West bridge replacement work. Bridge replacement work is anticipated to begin in late July or the first week of August.
Motorists can expect temporary lane closures in these work zones.
The project will address safety risks along and across Hwy 52, which includes cross streets and driveways. Construction will affect the flow of traffic between April and November each year. Traffic will be maintained on Hwy 52. However, drivers can expect reduced lanes and lane shifts. Drivers looking to cross Hwy 52 may need to follow a detour. Detours and open crossings will change as construction moves. Signs will guide drivers around closures, and detour information can be found on our website in advance of the changes. Off-road work may occur during the winter months.
Some of the items may move in time periods or change as design work continues.
- Replace the Hwy 60 West overpass bridge at Zumbrota
- Replace the Hwy 52 northbound bridge at the Hwy 60 East interchange south of Zumbrota
- Construct access control measures along highway
- Rebuild Hwy 52 southbound from (4,000 feet north) Goodhue County Road 9 to Goodhue County Road 50
- Build a new interchange at the intersection of Hwy 57/Goodhue County Road 8 and Hwy 52
- Replace the southbound bridge over Hwy 52 for Hwy 60 East
- Build Goodhue County Road 14 connection, frontage roads, and cul de sacs
- Replace the Hwy 52 southbound bridge over the Zumbro River
- Reconstruct Hwy 52 southbound from Goodhue County Road 24 in Cannon Falls to (4,000 feet) north of County Road 9
- Reconstruct Hwy 52 southbound from County Road 50 to 1.3 miles north of Goodhue County Road 7
- Construct frontage roads and cul de sacs
- Construct noisewall along northbound Hwy 52 south of Hwy 58 interchange at Zumbrota
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones