Three-day closure of southbound I-35 New Market rest area begins June 28 for striping work
NORTHFIELD, Minn. — The southbound Interstate 35 New Market Rest Area will be closed for three days beginning June 28, while crews stripe the parking area, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The closure will begin at noon on Monday, June 28 and re-open by noon on Wednesday, June 30.
The work is part of a larger project involving 15 miles of striping work on I-35 from the Scott County Road 2 exit, (Exit No. 76 ) Elko New Market to Rice County Road 8 north of Faribault. Once the work is done at the rest area, crews will begin work on the main line of the highway in both directions. Traffic delays can be expected during the work.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones