Hwy 60/I-90 roundabout in Worthington reopens to traffic
Construction will pause for Memorial Day weekend, resume on June 2 to start reconstruction of the Stage 2 Oxford Street roundabout
MANKATO, Minn. – Motorists traveling Highway 60 in Worthington are able to use the Highway 60/I-90 roundabout in Worthington today, Friday, May 28 as crews have completed reconstruction of the roundabout, in time for Memorial Day weekend.
Crews will pause construction over Memorial Day weekend and resume on Wednesday, June 2 to start the reconstruction of the Stage 2, Highway 60/County Road 33/Oxford Street roundabout. The final stage of construction, Stage 3 Highway 60/County Road 35, will begin after the completion of Stage 2.
The construction project includes the replacement of the roundabout center curbs, truck aprons, areas of failed pavement, and restriping.
Detours will remain in place until the end of construction, but access to businesses will be provided throughout the project. Construction is taking place in three stages, one at a time, each with its own set of detours:
- Stage 1: Highway 60/I-90 roundabout - COMPLETE
- Stage 2: Highway 60/County Road 33/Oxford Street roundabout
- Stage 3: Highway 60/County Road 35 roundabout
When complete in August, the redesign of the roundabout curbs to better accommodate large trucks and minimize load shift will improve motorist safety.
Hoffman Concrete, Inc. was awarded the projects with a bid of $977,441.46.
Roundabout driving tips:
- Slow down when approaching a roundabout. For multi-lane roundabouts get into the appropriate lane.
- Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk.
- Yield to vehicles already in the roundabout. Merge into the traffic flow when it is safe.
- Continue through the roundabout until you reach your exit. Do not stop or pass in a roundabout.
- Exit the roundabout immediately if an emergency vehicle approaches, and then pull over. Do not stop in the roundabout.
- Yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk when exiting the roundabout.
- Give large trucks extra space in a roundabout. Large trucks may straddle both lanes while driving through a multi-lane roundabout.
- For more information on roundabouts visit: www.dot.state.mn.us/roundabouts/
For current project information and detour maps, visit https://www.dot.state.mn.us/d7/projects/hwy60worthington-rab/index.html.
For information on other 2021 construction projects in southwest and south central Minnesota visit www.mndot.gov/d7/projects.html