Nighttime Hwy 52 lane closures planned in Rochester beginning May 9 for bridge cleaning
ROCHESTER, Minn. — Hwy 52 motorists in Rochester should be alert for overnight lane closures during the week of May 9 as crews clean bridges, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Work will take place from 8 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. for four nights, May 9 and May 11 to May 13. During that work, sand and other material that accumulated during winter are swept up before crews use fresh water in high pressure pumps to spray down the gutter lines and joints.
Motorists can expect periodic traffic delays with lane closures. Flaggers directing traffic will be in some of the areas and there will be short-term ramp closures in the Civic Center Drive area.
Work will take place on Hwy 52 from Hwy 63 south to 55th Street Northwest, as well as on Hwy 63 south north of 40th Street and on Olmsted County Road 22 over Hwy 14 west. The work includes bridges over Hwy 52 – 55th Street Northwest, 41st Street Northwest, 37TH Street Northwest , 19TH Street Northwest , 2ND Street Southwest, and 6th Street Southwest, Hwy 14 east and 16th Street Southwest so there will be lane restrictions on these roadways over Hwy 52 as well.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Find up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions at 511mn.org or get the free smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones