I-90 bridge replacement at 28th St. NE in Austin begins May 10, detours begin May 12
AUSTIN, Minn. — The project begins May 10 and the bridge that crosses I-90 will close May 12 as crews prepare for its demolition. Traffic that uses the bridge will begin detours on May 12.
- Eastbound I-90 traffic (coming from Austin) that wants to reach locations on the north side of the 28th St. NE bridge will continue past Exit 181 for 3 miles to Exit 183. Motorists will turn north (left) at the off-ramp on Hwy 56, turning west (left) on 220th St. to travel west to reach 28th St. NE on the north side of the bridge.
- Westbound I-90 traffic that wants to reach locations on the side of 28th St. NE or Mower County Road 58 will use Exit 183, turn south (left) on Hwy 56 and then west (right) on 215th St.
- Southbound traffic on 28th St. NE that wants to cross the bridge or enter eastbound I-90 will detour by entering westbound I-90 and using Exit 180B, crossing I-90, entering eastbound I-90 or exiting at Exit 181 to then travel south on 28th St. NE.
- Northbound traffic on 28th St. NE that wants to cross the bridge or travel westbound on I-90 will travel east (right) on 215th Street to Hwy 56, turn north (left) to reach I-90. Motorists will enter westbound I-90 and continue or use Exit 181 to reach northside destinations or continue on 28th St. NE.
From May 14-17, construction crews will be removing the 28th St NE bridge over I-90. During that time, I-90 traffic will be routed up and down the highway ramps because crews will be knocking down the current bridge over the highway. Work will begin at 7 p.m. on Friday, May 14 and be completed by 6 a.m., Monday, May 17, when traffic will resume through travel on I-90 at that time.
Short-term traffic ramp detours will occur during the project and will be announced in advance. Crews will be repaving or reconstructing the ramps during the bridge replacement.
Residents or businesses adjacent to the work zone may contact Mike Myers with Kraemer North American, the contractor, to discuss specific questions or concerns about access to their properties. Myers can be reached at 612-290-9830.
Kraemer North America of Plain, Wis., is the prime contractor for the $3.9 million construction project.
Following guidance from state health officials and to prevent further spread of COVID-19, MnDOT crews will maintain physical distancing practices while working.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Find up-to-date information about traffic and road conditions at 511mn.org or get the free smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones