Hwys 1, 53, and 73 construction to resume May 5
DULUTH, Minn. — Construction is expected to resume on Hwys 1, 53, and 73 on May 5. This is the second year of work at this location in Itasca and St. Louis Counties on Hwy 1 from Hwy 65 to Hwy 53, Hwy 73 from Hwy 1 to Hwy 53, and in St. Louis County on Hwy 53 at the intersection of Hwy 1 and County Rd 115 (Ashawa Rd).
Motorists can expect single lane closures on Hwy 1 and Hwy 73 during construction hours. Beginning May 5, Hwy 1 in St. Louis County will be closed between County Rd 5 and County Rd 139, traffic will be detoured on Cty Rd 5, Cty Rd 114 and Cty Rd 139 for roadway repairs.
For more information, please visit the project website.
Important reminders for motorists regarding work zone safety:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.