Portion of Hwy 12 closed due to crash
DETROIT LAKES, Minn.—(9:45 a.m.) Motorists will encounter a temporary closure of Highway 12 between Ortonville and Highway 119 north of Appleton due to a crash. Traffic is being rerouted to Highway 119 and Highway 7. The road will reopen once the crash has been cleared.
The Minnesota Department of Transportation urges motorists to always drive with caution, and reminds them to never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones.
In addition, roads are slippery due to freezing rain in the area. MnDOT snowplow operators are doing their part to make highways safe. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Call 511 or visit 511mn.org before leaving on your trip to get current road conditions.
- Turn on your headlights and wear your seat belt.
- Turn off your cruise control.
- Slow down; allow at least 10 car lengths between your vehicle and a plow.
- Watch for snowplows that turn or exit frequently, and often with little warning.