About this project
MnDOT, in conjunction with Hennepin County, constructed three projects aimed at improving safety and reducing crashes along Hwy 12.
On Hwy 12 from Co. Rd. 6 to Baker Park Rd. in Maple Plain, MnDOT reconstructed Hwy 12 to install a center concrete barrier. This will eliminate head-on crashes within this section of Hwy 12. MnDOT completed this project in September 2021.
At Hwy 12 and Co. Rd. 90 in Independence, MnDOT built a roundabout. The improvements include:
- A reconfigured Co. Rd. 90 to better connect the lanes north and south of Hwy 12
- Access for walkers and bicyclists crossing Hwy 12
- Drainage ponds to protect the environment
- Improved sightlines for motorists entering Hwy 12
- 15-foot-wide raised concrete median
- Wider road
- Westbound roundabout designed to accommodate expansion
At Hwy 12 and Co. Rd. 92 in Independence, Hennepin County led a project in partnership with MnDOT to address the safety issues seen at this location. The project realigned Co. Rd. 92 with a bridge over Hwy 12 and the railroad tracks and constructed a roundabout on Hwy 12 for traffic entering and exiting Hwy 12 from Co. Rd 92.
Summary of work
- Center concrete barrier on Hwy 12 between Co. Rd. 6 and Baker Park Rd.
- Roundabout at Hwy 12 and Co. Rd. 90
- Roundabout and bridge at Hwy 12 and Co. Rd. 92
- Reduced crashes and improved safety within corridor