Weekend closures of I-94, Hennepin Avenue/Lyndale Avenue, access to downtown Minneapolis scheduled for May 18-21
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – Interstate 94 in Minneapolis is scheduled to close from 10 p.m. Friday, May 18 until 5 a.m. Monday, May 21, between Interstate 394 and Interstate 35W. In addition, Hennepin Avenue/Lyndale Avenue between Dunwoody Boulevard and Oak Grove Street, near Loring Park, will be closed during the same time. A full closure is also schedule this weekend for the access to downtown Minneapolis from northbound I-35W to 11th Street/5th Avenue S/East Grant Street, as well as the access out of downtown from 12th Street/4th Avenue to southbound I-35W. The closures are weather permitting.
The I-94 and Hennepin Avenue/Lyndale Avenue closures are needed to repair the Irene Hixon Whitney Bridge, the pedestrian bridge over I-94 between the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden and Loring Park. Restoring the bridge’s wooden deck will continue into August. This is the last of the I-94 full closures in May; however, additional I-94 closures will occur this summer.
Also, as part of the I-94 project, the ramp from westbound I-94 to Highway 55 is scheduled to close on Wednesday, May 16, for about one month. This work is part of the I-94 Minneapolis to Brooklyn Center project, a maintenance and restoration project for a nine-mile stretch of I-94 between Nicollet Avenue in Minneapolis and Shingle Creek Parkway in Brooklyn Center. In 2017, MnDOT resurfaced nine miles of freeway and repaired almost 50 bridges and the Lowry Tunnel. 2018 is the second and final year of the project. www.mndot.gov/metro/projects/i94brooklyncntr
The access closure to and from downtown and I-35W is needed to demolish the flyover bridge that provides access from northbound I-35W to westbound I-94. The I-94 flyover bridge will remain closed through fall of 2021 to allow construction activities in the I-35W and I-94 junction. This closure is part of the larger 35W@94: Downtown to Crosstown reconstruction project on I-35W between 43rd Street and downtown Minneapolis. The work includes reconstructing pavement, bridges and ramps on I-35W, adding new access ramps to the Lake Street Business District, building a new transit station on the interstate and constructing new MnPASS lanes. Once complete, motorists and residents will have better accessibility, safety and mobility in the area. Work is expected to be completed in fall 2021. To learn more about the project, visit: www.mndot.gov/35w94
MnDOT has set detours for this weekend’s closures:
- For the eastbound I-94 detour from I-394, motorists can take northbound Highway 100, before the I-394/I-94 junction, to eastbound Interstate 694, to southbound I-35W and then to southbound Highway 280 to I-94.
- For the eastbound I-94 detour from I-694/I-94, motorists can take eastbound I-694, to southbound I-35W and then to southbound Hwy 280 to I-94.
- For the westbound I-94 detour, motorists can go northbound on Hwy 280, before the I-94/I-35W junction, to northbound I-35W and then to westbound I-694 to I-94.
- For the westbound I-94 detour from northbound I-35W, motorists can continue on northbound I-35W and then to westbound I-694 to I-94.
- For the westbound I-94 detour from southbound I-35W, motorists can take southbound I-35W, to westbound Highway 62, to northbound Highway 100, and then will need to go eastbound on I-694 to the East River Road exit loops to access westbound I-694 to I-94.
- For northbound Hennepin Avenue/Lyndale Avenue, motorists can go eastbound on Franklin Avenue to northbound First Avenue South and continue on Marquette Avenue, and then to take a left onto 11th Street South to Hennepin Avenue, or continue on 11th Street South and then take a left on Glenwood Avenue to Lyndale Avenue.
- For southbound Hennepin Avenue/Lyndale Avenue from I-94, motorist can take a left onto Hennepin Avenue, then a right on 12th Street South and then take a right onto LaSalle Avenue to westbound Franklin Avenue to Lyndale Avenue, or continue on Franklin Avenue to Hennepin Avenue.
- For northbound I-35W to 11th Street/Fifth Avenue South/East Grant Street, motorists can continue on northbound I-35W and take the Third Street exit to downtown.
- For access to southbound I-35W from 12th Street/4th Avenue, motorists can take Third Avenue to Fourth Street and use the entrance ramp to southbound I-35W.
MnDOT has set detours for the ramp closures:
- For westbound I-94 to Highway 55, motorists can take westbound I-394 to northbound Highway 100 to the Highway 55 exit.
- For northbound I-35W to westbound I-94, motorists can take westbound Highway 62 to northbound Highway 100, then take eastbound Highway 55 to I-94.
Please plan ahead, know your route and check 511 and the project web site for updates: www.511mn.org