About this project
Summary of MnDOT work
- Reconstruct Highway 15 through downtown Hutchinson
- Resurface Highway 15 from 5th Avenue South to just north of the roundabout at County Road 115 / Airport Road
- Add a northbound left-turn lane at Linden Avenue
- Update pedestrian crossings along project areas to make them accessible for everyone
Summary of City of Hutchinson work
- Replace storm sewer, water, and sanitary sewer along the project area
- Highway 15 between 2nd Avenue North and 5th Avenue South will remain closed to north/south traffic for the duration of the downtown portion of the project.
- Detour for through traffic (map above) is in effect.
- Travelers not stopping in the downtown area must use the detour.
- Signs will help direct visitors to the downtown area.
- Find information about getting to downtown homes and businesses (local traffic) under the Project updates section below.
- During the repaving project (orange line on the map), expect temporary lane, shoulder, sidewalk, and side street closures from 5th Avenue South to just north of the roundabout at County Road 115.
Project and traffic updates
July 31, 2020
- Installed storm sewer between 3rd Avenue South and 5th Avenue South.
- Paved the two lanes on either side of the concrete center lane from Washington Avenue through 2nd Avenue South.
- Continued removing old pavement and installing new concrete curb, road and sidewalk along Highway 15, south of 5th Avenue South.
- Concrete paving around the intersections of 2nd Avenue South and 1st Avenue South.
- Continue installing storm sewer between 3rd Avenue South and 5th Avenue South.
- On the resurfacing part of the project, we will continue removing old pavement and installing concrete curb, road and sidewalk.
During the resurfacing part of the project
The resurfacing part of the project (south of 5th Avenue) will remain open to traffic, however, people can expect temporary lane and shoulder closures of Highway 15, as well as temporary side street and sidewalk closures.
During Stage 4
Much of the work takes place at the intersections of Highway 15 with 3rd Avenue South, 4th Avenue South; however, work is also taking place in the earlier stage areas simultaneously.
- Area is closed to all vehicles from all directions.
- Crosswalks in the work zone are closed to pedestrians.
- Sidewalks to businesses will remain open as long as possible; use rear/side entrances when posted.
- Park on the streets and in the parking lots on the back side of Highway 15/Main Street businesses.
- People can use Franklin and Adams Streets to get to homes and businesses.
- People can cross Highway 15 at Washington Avenue and 5th Avenue South; when 5th Avenue South isn't available, 2nd Avenue South will be open for crossing.