Hwy 12 Litchfield project to open Friday, September 4
WILLMAR, Minn. – The Highway 12 Litchfield project will open to traffic tomorrow, Friday, September 4. Crews will start taking the detour down mid-morning and the road will be opened to all traffic by Friday afternoon.
MnDOT and Landwehr Construction have worked hard to accelerate the project, recognizing the benefits to businesses and residents. The project will be completed seven weeks earlier than originally anticipated.
The reconstruction of Highway 12 from 4th Street to the intersection of Highway 12 and Highway 22 in Litchfield began Monday, March 30. 4th Street from Highway 12 to the outlet at Jewett Creek was reconstructed in 2019 and a pond was constructed to improve drainage. The City of Litchfield updated utilities (sanitary sewer & water) in the downtown as part of the 2020 project.
Benefits of the project include a smoother road surface, modernized sanitary sewer and water and improved drainage. The project helps to ensure that the city and state infrastructure continues to serve their purposes for many years.
For more information on the project, please visit the project webpage at www.mndot.gov/d8/projects/hwy12litchfield.
MnDOT recommends that travelers always drive with caution, and reminds everyone to:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment
- Never enter a roadway that has been blocked with barriers or cones
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times
For real-time traffic and travel information in Minnesota, visit www.511mn.org or get the free smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/groups/MnDOTsouthwest/.