MnDOT District 8 upgrades remaining no travel advised locations
WILLMAR, Minn. – (11:00 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation is upgrading all locations that were previously listed as No Travel Advised to completely covered.
Highway 14 from the MN/SD state line to Lake Benton is the only road that remains closed. That road is expected to be upgraded from closed to completely covered in approximately one hour.
The public can view winter road conditions from plow cameras available through the 511mn.org website. Please note that not all plows have cameras.
Road conditions on major highways can also be viewed through the Road Weather Information System (RWIS), which is also part of 511. These are fixed cameras at 91 locations across the state that show live rotating photos. While the RWIS cameras show a small area of the road, the plow cameras show real-time road conditions as snowplows plow their routes.
Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. Plows may also travel over centerlines or partially into traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.