Hwy 4 bridge closure at Hwy 60 near St. James restarts Highway 60 construction in March
MANKATO, Minn. – Year two of the Highway 60 construction project in Watonwan County begins with the closure of the Highway 4/Watonwan County 27 Bridge at St. James as early as March 20 to allow crews to complete bridge rehabilitation work. The 2019 Highway 60 work will take place mainly in the westbound lanes.
While the Highway 4/Watonwan County 27 bridge at St. James is closed, traffic will be detoured to Watonwan County Road 57 or Watonwan County Road 12, which can be viewed on the project website www.mndot.gov/d7/projects/hwy60/pdf/hwy60watonwandetourmap.pdf. The bridge will be closed until approximately May 1 depending on work and weather conditions.
As the bridge work progresses, preparation work will be underway in the median to support later traffic changes to move both directions of traffic onto the new eastbound lanes in a single lane, head to head configuration. No detour is anticipated for through traffic on Highway 60, but there will be periodic bridge and ramp closures for work at the CSAH 57/TH 4, Highway 4/County Road 27 and County Road 12 bridges.
Construction on Highway 60 in Watonwan County is a two-year project that started in June of 2018 and is expected to be complete in the fall of 2019. Thirteen miles of Highway 60 construction includes:
- Resurfacing the existing pavement
- Resurfacing eastbound (EB) and westbound (WB) ramps
- Constructing a crossover at the west and east end of the project area to accommodate two-lane, two-way traffic
- Removing and replacing road signs
- Constructing a snow fence to mitigate snow drifts on Hwy 60 at the Watonwan River Bridge
- Removing or replacing guardrails
- Resurfacing and upgrades to the Hwy 4/County Rd 27 bridge and County Rd 12 bridge over Hwy 60
PCiRoads of St. Michael, MN, was awarded the project with a bid of $27,500,000.
For more information, visit the project website at www.mndot.gov/d7/projects/hwy60.