MnDOT begins bridge inspection season; 880 SE MN bridges scheduled for evaluation
ROCHESTER, Minn. — Motorists in southeast Minnesota should be alert for lane closures as the Minnesota Department of Transportation begins bridge inspections of state, city and county bridges.
MnDOT bridge inspectors will evaluate approximately 390 structures for MnDOT and 490 bridges for cities and counties in southeast Minnesota this season. The inspections are routine to ensure safety and monitor the effects of traffic, weather and other elements on the structure.
Snooper truck inspections will begin April 10 on nine bridges in Rice County. A snooper truck is a specialty vehicle that has a multi-jointed arm with a basket attached at the end to hold the bridge inspectors. The equipment allows the inspection team to maneuver under the bridge, while the truck is parked on the bridge deck. Motorists should watch for lane closures when bridges are scheduled for inspection.
Rice County inspections on April 10-11:
- Rice Co Rd 1 over Cannon River main channel, 0.2 mile west of Rice Co Rd 20
- Rice Co Rd 1 over Cannon River over flow, 0.2 mile west of Rice Co Rd 20
- Rice Co Rd 29 over Cannon River, 0.1 mile east of Hwy 3
- Rice Co Rd 11 over Cannon River, 0.5 mile west of Hwy 21
- Rice Co Rd 19 over Straight River, 0.1 mile east of Hwy 21
- Township road 45 over Straight River, 0.8 mile east Rice Co Rd 19
- Township road 51 over Straight River, 1.8 mile east of Rice Co Rd 19
- Rice Co Rd over Cannon-Wells Lake channel, 0.8 mile west of Hwy 60
- Rice Co Rd 44 over Cannon River, 0.4 mile south of Hwy 60
Other scheduled inspections for southeast Minnesota counties are:
Goodhue County on April 15
- Goodhue Co Rd 2 over Wells Creek, 0.4 mile north of Highway 61
- Goodhue Co Rd 5 over Gilbert Creek, 0.5 mile west of Highway 61
- Goodhue Co Rd 45 over Wells Creek, 0.1 mile west of Goodhue Co Rd 2
- Goodhue Co Rd 9 over Little Cannon River, 0.3 mile west of Goodhue Co Rd 14
- Goodhue Co Rd 10 over North Branch Zumbro river, 0.9 mile east of Goodhue Co Rd 4
Fillmore County on April 16
- Fillmore Co Rd 5 over Bear Creek, 0.2 mile southwest of Fillmore Co Rd 201
- Fillmore Co Rd 11 over North Branch of Root River, 1.6 miles south of Hwy 30
- Fillmore Co Rd 21 over North Branch of Root River, 0.9 mile north of Fillmore Co Rd 6
- Fillmore Co Rd 17 over South Branch of Root River, 0.3 mile south of Goodhue Co Rd 12
Olmsted County on April 17
- Olmsted Co Rd 139 over Partridge Creek, 0.3 mile west of Olmsted Co Rd 19
- Olmsted Co Rd 7 over a stream, 2.1 miles north of Hwy 52
Wabasha County on April 18 and April 22
- Wabasha Co Rd 4 over West Indian Creek, 0.9 mil southeast of Wabasha Co Rd 18
- Wabasha Co Rd 4 over West Indian Creek, 1.3 miles southeast of Wabasha Co Rd 13
- Oak Street in Lake City over Miller Creek, 0.5 mile southeast of Hwy 61
- Wabasha Co Rd 89 over Zumbro River, 0.1 mile south of Hwy 60
- Maple Street in Mazeppa over the North Branch of Zumbro River, 0.1 mile west of Wabasha Co Rd 1
- Wabasha Co Rd 1 over Trout Brook, 0.1 mile south of Wabasha Co Rd 83
Mower County on April 23-24
- Township road 107 over Bear Creek, 0.3 mile north of Mower Co Rd 2
- Mower Co Rd 14 over Upper Iowa River, 0.2 mile north of Hwy 56
- Mower Co Rd 12 over Upper Iowa River, 0.7 mile north of Hwy 56
- Township road 61 over Wapsipincon River, 1.1 mile west of Mower Co Rd 17
- Township road 266 over Roberts Creek, 0.8 mile east of Mower Co Rd 16
- Township road 141 over Roberts Creek, 0.8 mile north of Mower Co Rd 2
- Mower Co Rd 2 over Cedar River, 0.5 mile east of Mower Co Rd 25
Once the work in the counties is completed, motorists will encounter MnDOT bridge inspectors on state highways in southeast Minnesota in the snooper truck from late April through May 8. MnDOT will be inspecting its Mississippi River bridges in June.
MnDOT urges motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution, slow down in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
To learn more about MnDOT construction projects and activities in southeastern Minnesota, join its Facebook group at www.facebook.com/groups/MnDOTsoutheast/.