No-travel advisory lifted for west central Minnesota
DETROIT LAKES, Minn. – (4 a.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation has lifted a no-travel advisory for state and federal highways in Big Stone, Pope, Stevens, Swift and Traverse counties.
Blizzard conditions are diminishing, but motorists should use caution when traveling, especially in open areas with no wind breaks.
After a storm motorists should:
- Check road conditions at 511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for their trip.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. Plows may also travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.