Interstate 94 westbound lanes reopen between Downer and Highway 336
BEMIDJI, Minn. – (8:15 p.m.) The Minnesota Department of Transportation has reopened the westbound lanes of Interstate 94 between Downer and Highway 336 near Dilworth.
The lanes were closed this morning as the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension completed an investigation.
Motorists are reminded to slow down due to slippery conditions and scattered icy spots. Roads in west central Minnesota vary from partially to fully covered, and travel conditions can vary widely across the state.
The public can view winter road conditions through the 511mn.org website, including real-time road conditions via cameras mounted on snow plows or at fixed roadside locations.
MnDOT reminds motorists that plow operators have much to monitor and control while on duty, and their ability to see behind them is limited. Their vision can be hampered by the snow clouds they create while plowing. Along with eliminating distractions, motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. Plows may also travel over centerlines or partially into traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
For additional tips on safe winter driving, go to www.mndot.gov/workzone/winter.html.
For real-time traffic and travel information in Minnesota, visit www.511mn.org or get the free smartphone app at Google Play or the App Store.