MnDOT advances more than 200 road projects during 2020 construction season
ST. CLOUD, Minn. — The Minnesota Department of Transportation advanced or completed more than 200 road and bridge projects during the 2020 construction season that is now wrapping up throughout Minnesota. An additional 36 projects enhanced safety at railroad crossings, and 15 projects extended or repaired runways or other infrastructure at local airports.
“Minnesota’s 2020 construction program represented a broad mix of projects that improved all modes of transportation and provided jobs throughout the state during a challenging year,” said Jay Hietpas, MnDOT assistant commissioner, operations. “While COVID-19 created challenges in some areas, the reduced traffic volumes we saw early in the season helped in some cases to minimize disruptions to travelers. We want to thank everyone in both the private and public sectors who helped make this season a success, and worked diligently to keep projects on track.”
Notable projects completed in 2020 include the Highway 5 “Around the Airport” construction near MSP International Airport; the new Highway 63 bridge in Red Wing; concrete resurfacing and safety improvements along 18 miles of Highway 23 between Cottonwood and Granite Falls; and reconstruction of five miles of Highway 210 west of Fergus Falls. In addition, two important multi-year projects that began in 2020 include the Twin Ports Interchange in Duluth, and improvements to Interstate 94 between Maple Grove and Clearwater.
Central Minnesota, District 3, construction highlights
- Highway 10 in Wadena – Reconstructed road, replaced city water and sewer utilities, improved pedestrian sidewalks and approaches, upgraded signals.
- Highway 47, Isle to Ogilvie – Reconstructed road and two bridges, added turn-lanes, replaced pipes.
- Highway 24 in Annandale – Reconstructed road, replaced city water and sewer utilities, improved pedestrian sidewalks and approaches.
- Highway 169 near Milaca – Installed three reduced conflict intersections, improved access.
- Highway 12 in Cokato - Resurfaced road, added turn-lanes at High School, improved pedestrian sidewalks and upgraded signal.
- Highway 23 east St. Cloud – Resurfaced both directions of road, installed reduced conflict intersection, upgraded signals.
- Highway 71 in Long Prairie, Highway 18 east of Brainerd and Highway 28 west of Sauk Centre – Replaced bridges, reduced maintenance upkeep and costs.
For a complete list of current and future MnDOT projects and their status, see mndot.gov/roadwork.
For real-time travel information, visit 511mn.org or download the 511MN app.
# # #