Temporary lanes on Highway 10 in Elk River begin July 24
Expect daytime delays as all traffic moves to westbound side
ST. CLOUD, Minn. – Motorists who travel Highway 10 near Lake Orono in Elk River will encounter delays as crews prepare to close the existing lanes of eastbound Highway 10, and switch both directions of Highway 10 to narrow, temporary lanes on the westbound side of the road, Tuesday, July 24 through July 27.
Motorists who travel Highway 10 in Elk River should plan for the following traffic changes on Highway 10 between Simonet Drive and Waco Street, near Lake Orono:
- July 24 – July 27
- Both directions of Highway 10 will be reduced to a single lane from sunrise to sunset.
- The north and south legs of the Highway 10/Joplin Street/185th Avenue NW will close (Highway 10 remains open). A signed detour will direct motorists to the Highway 10/Waco Street intersection, about one mile west of Highway 10/Joplin Street/185th Avenue NW.
- July 27 – fall 2017
- Both directions of Highway 10 will be switched to narrow, temporary lanes with a 45 m.p.h. posted speed limit.
- Eastbound Highway 10 will be reduced to a single lane 24 hours per day.
- Westbound Highway 10 will remain two lanes with intermittent lane closures occurring as needed.
- Joplin Street at Highway 10 will close periodically beginning in August. When Joplin Street is closed, a signed detour will direct motorists about one mile west to the Highway 10/Waco Street/185th Avenue NW intersection.
- Access to all local businesses and residences will be maintained throughout the project, although routes may temporarily change while intersecting roads are closed.
The closures are needed as part of the 2017-2018 New Lake Orono Bridge project in Elk River. When complete in fall 2018, the project will replace the 75-year-old Highway 10 bridge spanning Lake Orono with a new, modern bridge; resurface Highway 10 between Joplin Street NW and Xenia Ave NW; improve the Highway 10/Joplin Street/185th Avenue NW intersection; construct a new trail between Gary Street NW and Simonet Drive NW; install new drainage infrastructure and make other improvements.
Stay connected to this Highway 10 project
For more project information, to view and print project maps, or sign up to have project email updates sent directly to your inbox, visit the Highway 10 Lake Orono Bridge website at www.mndot.gov/d3/h10orono.
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota, check www.511mn.org.