Hwy 27, Hwy 71 project in Long Prairie begins July 10
BAXTER, Minn. — Motorists in Long Prairie will encounter crews, equipment and narrowed travel lanes on Highway 27 and Highway 71 after a project to improve the roadway, sidewalks and other infrastructure begins Monday, July 10.
Motorists should plan their travel, and expect the following traffic changes. Open house July 6
- Highway 27 and Highway 71 will remain open, but lanes will be narrow as crews work. Shoulders will also close as needed.
- Access to all local residences and businesses will be maintained.
- Highway 27 and Riverside Drive will be detoured for about five days in late July while crews repair or replace underground utilities near the Highway 27/Highway 71/Riverside Drive intersection. More information on the detour routes will be issued as details become available.
- Highway 27 and Highway 71 will be reduced to a single lane with flaggers allowing one-way, alternating traffic through the work zone for about one week in September.
- More information on future traffic changes and detour routes will be issued as details become available. For the latest road closure information, visit www.511mn.org or the project’s website at www.mndot.gov/d3/2017/longprairie/.
The closures and detours are needed as part of a project to resurface Highway 27 between Highway 71 and Ninth Street NE, resurface Highway 71 between Highway 27 and Sixth Avenue S, improve the Highway 71/Todd County Road 38 signal system, repair or replace underground utilities, and reconstruct sidewalks and pedestrian ramps in the city of Long Prairie. When complete, the project will result in a smoother ride, improve safety and traffic flow and improve pedestrian accessibility.
A public open house for the project is scheduled Thursday, July 6 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Long Prairie city hall. Attendees will be able to view a large layout of the project, get project details and get their questions answered from MnDOT staff and others working on the project.
To get more information, including traffic updates and the latest maps, visit www.mndot.gov/d3/2017/longprairie/.
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota visit www.511mn.org or dial 5-1-1.