Construction and detours begin in Thief River Falls on May 29
Preconstruction meeting to be held May 22
BEMIDJI, Minn. – Motorists in Thief River Falls will experience delays when construction begins on Highway 1 and Highway 59 on May 29. The complex project includes a closure of the Thief River Bridge for up to six weeks, weather permitting.
A preconstruction meeting will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Thief River Falls City Hall, 405 Third St E. Representatives from the project team will be on hand to discuss project details and answer questions.
The Highway 1 project between Highway 32/Main Avenue and the Thief River Bridge includes three phases, with two detours. The detours are:
- Phase 1A/1B will last approximately six weeks, weather permitting. The detour uses Highway 32, 230th St NE/Marshall County Road 2 and 150th Avenue NE/Marshall County Road 44/Pennington County Road 18.
- Phase 2- will last about 3 weeks, weather permitting. Motorists will detour on Hwy 32/Main Avenue, Hwy 59/Third Street E and Atlantic Avenue N.
This portion of the project is more in depth and requires additional digging for the replacement of city utilities. The additional work includes:
- Pavement replacement
- Removal of the sidewalk on south side and replacing it with a larger sidewalk on the north side
- Improvement to pedestrian crossings, ramps and audible signals
- Installation of highway lighting
- Upgrade/replace city utilities
The other portion of the project features resurfacing on Highway 1 between the Thief River Bridge and 150th Avenue NE/Pennington County Road 18, and on Highway 59/Third Street E between Atlantic Avenue and First Street E. These projects will be done under traffic and motorists will experience lane closures.
Project details and detour maps can be found on the project website mndot.gov/d2/projects/2018/hwy1and59-thief-river-falls. Residents can stay up to date with the construction schedule by attending weekly public meetings, held Tuesdays at 10a.m., beginning on June 5. The meeting location has not yet been confirmed.
Spruce Valley Corporation is the contractor for the $4.12 million project. It is expected to last through August.
To request an ASL or foreign language interpreter, call 651-366-4720. To request other reasonable accommodations, call 651-366-4718; the Minnesota Relay Service toll-free at 1-800-627-3529 (TYY, Voice or ASCII) or 711, or email your request to email@example.com.