MnDOT to host virtual public meeting on Hwy 169 safety improvements from Marble to Pengilly
Duluth, Minn. – A virtual public meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, May 6, to discuss a safety improvement project along Highway 169 from Marble to Pengilly. The project is scheduled to begin in 2021.
To prevent further spread of COVID-19, MnDOT is not hosting any in-person public meetings at this time. Instead, MnDOT, along with consultants LHB, will be hosting a virtual meeting May 6 at 5 p.m. Project layouts and other exhibits will be on display during the meeting, showing the intersections involved and what improvements will be done to each. Staff will be available to provide information regarding the project and answer user-submitted questions.
The intersections included in the project include the following:
- CSAH 80 (west entrance to Marble) – replace eastbound bypass lane with left turn lane and lighting upgrades; some tree removal
- Ball Street – remove minor road access and regrade slopes
- CSAH 69 (Twin Lakes Road) – replace westbound bypass lane with left turn lane; add pedestrian refuge on north and south sides of TH 169; lighting upgrades; some tree removal
- CSAH 80 (Ethel Street) – replace eastbound bypass lane with left turn lane and lighting upgrades; some tree removal
- 9th Avenue in Calumet at Greenway Fire Hall – construct westbound bypass lane; extend eastbound right turn lane for fire hall
- Gary Street and Morgan Street in Calumet – Add a sidewalk on south side of TH 169 and curb bumpouts at both intersections; ADA improvements
- CR 590 – remove minor road access; replace guardrail and regrade area to improve sight distance around curve; tree removal
- CSAH 83 – remove trees to improve sight distance; lighting upgrades
- Side Road – remove minor road access; some tree removal
- West Junction CR 561 – remove minor road access
- East Junction CR 561 – realign minor road to remove intersection skew; tree removal
To find out more about the project and to register for the virtual meeting, visit the project website at mndot.gov/d1/projects/marble-pengilly. For those unable to participate in the live meeting, a recording of the meeting will be made available on the website.