Winter road conditions expected in northern Minnesota Monday night into Tuesday
DULUTH, Minn. – Minnesota Department of Transportation staff are preparing for mixed precipitation forecasted for northern Minnesota Monday night into Tuesday.
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution and be prepared for changing weather conditions. Impacts include snow/blowing snow which may worsen road conditions for the Tuesday morning commute.
MnDOT snowplow operators are doing their part to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511; it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least five, and preferably 10, car lengths behind the plow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning. Plows may also travel over centerlines or partially into traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.