Local Hiring Preference Pilot Program
The goal of the Local Hiring Preference Pilot Program is to promote hiring opportunities for residents of Hennepin County on three highway heavy construction projects. Individuals that meet one or all of the following criteria are eligible for the program:
- Residents of areas with an unemployment rate greater than 8 percent (Economic Preference),
- Residents of areas that have a high concentration of poverty (Economic Preference), or
- Veterans that reside in the county (Local Preference).
Local Hiring Preference projects
- SP 027-681-034: The reconstruction of CSAH 81 Bottineau Boulevard from 63rd to CSAH 8
- SP 027-653-021: The reconstruction of CSAH 53 from 66th St. west of Washburn Avenue to 16th Avenue South, Xerxes Avenue to Cedar Avenue
- SP 2772-113: Hwy 169 between Hwy 55 and just north of Hwy 62
The prime contractor will receive an incentive of $5 per hour for hours worked by an individual who meets one or all of the local hiring preference eligibility criteria, not to exceed the dollar amount identified below for each project (see table below):
|Project number||Location||Maximum reimbursement amount||LHP hours goal|
Contractor requirements and timeline
- Local Hiring Preference overview (PDF)
- Special Experimental Project No. 14 (PDF) - Local Hiring Pilot Program: MnDOT and Hennepin County application to the Federal Highway Administration requesting Local Hiring Pilot Program on three projects.
- Federal Register Contracting Initiative (2015) - U.S. DOT announces a pilot program allowing state DOTs to implement local hiring preference programs.
- Extension of DOT Contracting Initiative Pilot Program - DOT announcement extending the pilot program.
- 23 USC 502 - FHWA’s authority to experiment with innovative contracting practices that have the potential to reduce the life cycle cost of projects, while at the same time, maintaining product quality.