Overall, the City of Winona will remain open for business throughout the duration of this project and commuters, visitors and shoppers will have little to no travel impacts. This is mainly due to the addition of a second new bridge to the project scope, allowing the new bridge to be built offline first, while traffic is maintained on the existing structure. Once Hwy 43 traffic is switched to the new structure, the existing bridge will be rehabilitated and reconstructed.
New traffic patterns begin Aug. 27 when new Winona Bridge opens
Motorists using Hwy 43 bridges in Winona over the Mississippi River will encounter new traffic patterns Aug. 27, when the new bridge opens. Single-lane traffic will be used entering and leaving Winona on the bridges.
Wisconsin toward Winona
The new bridge is scheduled to open for traffic later in the day on Aug. 27. Motorists traveling from Wisconsin toward Winona will cross the river in a single lane on the new bridge, then turn right onto Fourth Street.
Left turns off the bridge into Winona will not be allowed. In addition, Winona Street between Fifth and Fourth streets will be temporarily closed.
Winona toward Wisconsin
Motorists traveling from Winona toward Wisconsin will use the existing bridge in a single lane. Access to the bridge will be by right turn only. (See the map.)
These detours are expected to be in effect until mid to late October to allow construction crews to complete the new roadway work at the base on the new bridge. Additional short-term traffic impacts may occur after this initial phase. Rehabilitation work is expected to begin in December on the existing bridge. At that time, traffic in both directions will use the new bridge in single lanes.
A planned community celebration to commemorate the opening is scheduled for 11 a.m., Aug. 27 at the foot of the new bridge.
Latsch Island Bridge Detour
- Beginning Monday, April 18th, traffic coming from Wisconsin to Latsch Island cannot make the right turn directly onto Latsch Island. Instead, continue into Winona, then follow these directions (PDF) to continue back onto the bridge. This detour will be in place for about one month.
- The Hwy 43 Mississippi River Crossing will stay open at all times throughout the project.
- Peak hour traffic impacts on Hwy 43 across the river will be minimized.
- 3rd Street and 2nd Street will not be closed at the same time; 2nd Street closures will be limited to weeks in duration, while 3rd Street may have long term closures.
- Pedestrians will be accommodated throughout the project, and pedestrian routing during Hwy 43 detours will be coordinated closely with city staff.
Bike trail closures
The bicycle trail on the levee under the Winona bridge is closed during construction until late 2019. Bicyclists should detour from Johnson Street to Second Street to Riverview Drive. View/print bike detour map (PDF). The section of the bike trail from Riverview Drive to the bridge, which will be used as construction access, will be rebuilt as part of the project and re-opened following construction. View/print project overview map (PDF).
The Hwy 43 Winona bridge has a gross weight limit of 80,000 pounds until further notice.