Major traffic impacts this weekend
2019 construction season
Updated on: Thursday, May 23, 2019
All projects and timelines are dependent on the weather and subject to change.
This map provides an illustrative guide to new and existing traffic impacts set to occur throughout the Twin Cities during the upcoming weekend.
There are several options for you to plan ahead and know your route as you travel through the Twin Cities Metro Area. Please allow for extra time during this busy travel weekend and slow down in work zones.
New this weekend
These impacts are new as of this weekend.
Hwy 65 Ham Lake and East Bethel
- The center median at 181st Ave. (Co. Rd. 61) is closed at Hwy 65 through July.
Existing and ongoing
These projects have already begun and continue to have traffic impacts.
Hwy 3 in Inver Grove Heights
- Hwy 3 is closed between Amana Trail and 60th St. through November. This is part of a Dakota County project.
Hwy 10 in Arden Hills
- EB Hwy 10 is reduced to a single lane between I-35W and Ramsey Co. Rd. 96 through early August.
Hwy 13 in Prior Lake
- Hwy 13 is closed in both directions between Hwy 282 and Vergus Ave. through mid-June.
- Detour: Marschall Rd. and Co. Rd. 42
35W@94: Downtown to Crosstown in Minneapolis
- The access to downtown (11th St./Grant St.) from NB I-35W is one northbound lane to allow for ongoing construction in the area. Motorists are encouraged to use alternate routes or use transit to travel in/out of downtown. The access out of downtown (from 12th St./4th Ave.) to SB I-35W is closed through fall 2021.
- NB I-35W is reduced to three lanes between 46th St. and I-94 through fall 2021.
- SB I-35W is reduced to two lanes between I-94 and 46th St. through fall 2019.
- Ramp closures:
- EB I-94 to SB I-35W is closed through fall 2021
- NB I-35W to WB I-94 is closed through fall 2021
- 5th Ave. to NB I-35W is closed through fall 2021
- 31st St. to SB I-35W is closed through fall 2021
- SB I-35W to 35th St. is closed through fall 2021
- 35th St. to NB I-35W is closed through fall 2021
- 36th St. to SB I-35W is closed through fall 2021
- The 28th St. bridge over I-35W is closed through mid-June 2019.
- Detour: Blaisdell Ave. to Lake St. to 4th Ave.
- There are several other local street closures and trail and sidewalk impacts.
I-35 Harris to Rush City
- I-35 in both directions is reduced to a single lane between just north of the city of Harris and the Chisago/Pine County line through October.
I-35 North Metro Split from Lino Lakes to Forest Lake
- NB I-35W is reduced to a single lane between one mile south of the I-35W/I-35E split and I-35 through fall 2019.
- Periodic lane closures on I-35 in both directions between Hwy 8 and the I-35W/I-35E split through summer 2019.
- Periodic lane closures on I-35W/I-35E between I-35 and one mile south of the split through summer 2019.
- NB I-35E is reduced to a single lane between Yankee Doodle Rd. and Hwy 13 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. nightly through Fri, May 31.
I-35W and 5th Street pedestrian bridge in Minneapolis
- West Side – 9th Ave. between 5th St. SE and 6th St. SE is closed through August.
- 4th St. ramps to/from I-35W will have periodic closures through August.
I-35W Minnesota River Bridge - Burnsville to Bloomington
- I-35W will have alternating lane closures in both directions between Cliff Rd. in Burnsville and 106th St. in Bloomington from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily through fall 2019.
- 106th St. in both directions is reduced to a single-lane between Verdi Rd. and Lyndale Ave. S through fall 2019.
- SB I-35W is reduced to three lanes between 106th St. and Cliff Rd. through summer 2021.
- The following ramps are closed:
- Burnsville Pkwy. to NB I-35W is closed through early summer 2019
- To/from NB I-35W and Black Dog Rd. are closed through fall 2019
- NB I-35W to 106th St. is closed through fall 2019
- 106th St. to SB I-35W is closed through summer 2021
I-35W Roseville to Lino Lakes
- The left turn lane from SB Snelling Ave. (Hwy 51) to Hamline Ave. in Arden Hills is closed through October.
- NB I-35W is reduced to two lanes between Co. Rd. C and Mounds View Blvd. (Co. Rd. 10) through November.
- SB I-35W is reduced to two lanes between Hwy 96 and Co. Rd. E2 through November.
- NB I-35W is reduced to three lanes between Mounds View Blvd. and the northern Hwy 10 interchange through November.
- Watch for periodic lane closures on I-35W in both directions between Hwy 36 in Roseville and Sunset Ave. in Lino Lakes through November. The closures may occur from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Hwy 36 Stillwater Lift Bridge
- The Hwy 36 Stillwater Lift Bridge over the St. Croix River is closed to all traffic. It will reopen for pedestrian and bicycle traffic in early fall 2019.
- Traffic has been transferred to the St. Croix Crossing Bridge in Oak Park Heights.
Hwy 55 Minneapolis to Rockford
- Watch for short-term lane and shoulder closures through spring 2019.
Hwy 62 and France Avenue Bridge in Edina
- France Ave. is closed in both directions between 62nd St. and 66th St. through mid-July.
- Detour to NB France Ave. from Hwy 62: Xerxes Ave. to 60th St.
- Detour to SB France Ave. from EB Hwy 62: Valley View Rd. to France Ave.
- Detour to SB France Ave. from WB Hwy 62: Xerxes Ave. to 66th St. to France Ave.
- The ramps to/from EB Hwy 62 and France Ave. are closed through mid-June.
- The following ramps are closed through mid-July:
- To/from WB Hwy 62 and France Ave.
- France Ave. to WB Hwy 62
Hwy 65 Columbia Heights to Spring Lake Park
- Watch for lane closures on Hwy 65 between 37th Ave. and Hwy 10 Mondays-Saturdays through mid-June.
Hwy 65 Ham Lake and East Bethel
- Periodic off-peak daytime lane closures on Hwy 65 at Viking Blvd. Monday through Saturday until late June/early July.
- The center median at 153rd Ave. (Co. Rd. 61) is closed at Hwy 65 through Wed, July 3.
- WB detour: North on Hwy 65, west on 157th Ave. and south on Central Ave. to 153rd Ave.
- EB detour: South on Hwy 65, east on 147th/148th Ave., and north on Hastings St. to 153rd Ave.
Hwy 77 in Eagan
- WB Cliff Rd. is closed and detoured between the Hwy 77 ramps through late May.
- EB Cliff Rd. travelers wishing to go northbound on Hwy 77 should follow the detour using SB Hwy 77 and I-35E.
Hwy 95/Manning Avenue Cottage Grove to Denmark Township
- Watch for periodic lane closures on Hwy 95 in both directions between 70th St. and Hwy 61 through late May.
Hwy 149/High Bridge (St. Paul to Mendota Heights)
- Annapolis St. is closed to thru traffic between Smith Ave. and Cherokee Heights Blvd. through late May.
I-494 Inver Grove Heights and South St. Paul
- WB I-494 is reduced to two lanes between Bailey Rd. and Hwy 61 through late-summer 2019.
- WB I-494 is reduced to three lanes between Hwy 61 and 7th Ave. through late-summer 2019.
- Concord St. is open to two lanes in each direction between Richmond St. and Villaume Ave., turn lanes remain closed, through summer 2019.
- The ramp from WB I-494 to 5th/7th Ave. is closed through early August.
- Detour: Hwy 52
- The ramps to/from WB I-494 and Concord St. are closed through summer 2019.
Metro Wide Noise Wall Repairs in Dakota and Hennepin Counties
- The right lane of NB I-35W between 90th St. and 82nd St. is closed through early July.
- The ramp from 90th St. to NB I-35W in Bloomington is closed through mid-June.
- I-35W/I-94 Stormwater Tunnel in Minneapolis
- Hwy 55 in Golden Valley