Section 5311f Minnesota Intercity Bus Program
The annual Intercity bus industry consultation was held July 9, 2019
The Minnesota Department of Transportation, Office of Transit and Active Transportation has opened a solicitation for Intercity Bus operations and capital project proposals for implementation in 2020.
- Intercity Bus CY 2020 Operating Grant application
The instructions and other program information may also be found on the BlackCat grants website. For access to BlackCat, a user account is required. For information about setting up an account, contact Chuck Morris, Data Systems and Technology Coordinator, via email at email@example.com.
- Application Release: June 17, 2019
- Application Due to the Office of Transit: August 30th, 2019
- Notification of Grant Award: September 16, 2019
Applications must be completed and submitted through the Black Cat system by the final due date August 30, 2019
Please send a request to Megan Neeck for further information about:
- The future of the Intercity Bus program and upcoming solicitations
- Potential unmet needs and opportunities for Intercity Service in Greater Minnesota
- Technical Assistance with program details or the submission of an application
- The Intercity Bus Program is a subsection of Federal regulations that provide funding for transportation in the rural portions of the United States. Further information on the section 5311 Rural Transit program in Minnesota.
About intercity bus service
This program defines “intercity bus” as service that meets all of the following criteria:
- Regularly scheduled bus service
- Open to the general public
- Operates with limited stops over fixed routes
- Connects two or more communities not in close proximity
- Has the capacity for transporting baggage carried by passengers
- Makes meaningful connections with scheduled intercity bus service to more distant points, if such service is available
The MnDOT Office of Transit further specifies that intercity bus service may include local and regional feeder services, if those services are designed expressly to connect to the broader intercity bus network. See program fact sheet (PDF).
Greater Minnesota Transit Information
- Greater Minnesota Transit Investment Plan
- Improving the Access and Efficiency of Transit in Greater Minnesota
Transit for our Future initiative
- Support for transit training in Greater Minnesota
Rural Transportation Assistance Program (RTAP)
- Statewide information about MPOs, RDOs, and ATPs
Minnesota Transportation Planning Partners