Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program
The Section 5310 program was established by the Federal Transit Authority as a discretionary capital assistance program. In cases where public transit is inadequate or inappropriate, the program awards grants to private non-profit organizations to serve the transportation needs of elderly persons and persons with disabilities.
Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) provided federal funding for surface transportation, including the Federal Transit Administration Section 5310 program. Funding allocations are made by MnDOT on an annual, competitive basis.
The MnDOT Office of Transit coordinates the Rural, Small Urban and Large Urban 5310 programs. Minnesota’s small urban areas include Duluth, East Grand Forks, Mankato, Moorhead, St. Cloud, Rochester, and La Crescent. Minnesota’s Large Urban is the 7-county metro area including Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Who is eligible to apply
- Tribal governments
- State or local governments
- Private nonprofit organizations
- Operators of public transportation services
- Private operators of public transportation services
Annual Section 5310 Program solicitations
- Traditional Vehicle Capital solicitation
- Transit Coordination Assistance Project (TCAP) solicitation
- Safe Access to Bus Stops applications (SABS)
The application process for these three projects is currently closed.
The application process for fiscal year 2019 for each of these will begin in Spring along as follows:
- North: Tuesday, April 3, Baxter
- South: Thursday, April 5, Mankato
- Metro: Thursday, April 9, Twin Cities
2018 Program schedule
- Solicitation Opens: April 2
- Public Notification: Friday, June 15 (Vehicle projects only – see instructions)
- Application due date: Friday, June 29
- Statewide review committee: Wednesday, August 8
- Notification of Grant Award: October
- Contract execution goal: Spring 2019
NOTE: Please check back on this website as additional information (including updated application instructions) will follow.
Special Solicitation – Small Urban Traditional Vehicle Capital
This application is now closed.
Opens January 16, 2018 through February 12, 2018.
Note: a previous version of the Special Solicitation application included references to a due date of Friday, February 16, 2018. This was in error. The application was due Monday, February 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM Central time.
2018 Special Solicitation 5310 Vehicle Application
The Office of Transit and Active Transportation seeks proposals from public and nonprofit agencies to provide Transportation services for the Elderly and Individuals with Disabilities in “Small Urban” Markets throughout greater Minnesota. The solicitation will open on January 16, 2018 and remain available through February 12, 2018.
Please download the Special Solicitation Application instructions (Word) for all the information necessary to submit a grant application to participate in the program.