The expanded use of roundabouts represents one result of Mn/DOT’s highway safety improvement projects. Other safety improvements include cable median guard rail installations, turn lane improvements, rumble strips and improved lighting at intersections.
- Julie Whitcher, Asstistant Traffic Safety Engineer
Traffic Safety Navigation
Traffic Engineering Sites
What is the Highway Safety Improvement Program?
The Highway Safety Improvement Program is a federally funded safety program. The object of this program is to identify, implement and evaluate cost effective construction safety projects.
The Minnesota 2007 HSIP Annual Report (PDF, 43 page)
Application forms, worksheet and instructions
Greater Minnesota (PDF, 16 page, pdf)
Metro (PDF, 9 page, pdf)
Application forms and instructions:
Greater Minnesota (PDF, 3 page, pdf)
Application reference materials: including calculations, reference materials examples and frequently ask questions.
- Worksheet (Excel file, 60 kb)
- Top 5 percent Report (PDF, 14 pages, pdf)
- Frequently ask questions about the application process updated: Jan. 17, 2008 (PDF, 10 page)
- Wright County Rural Intersection Lighting Policy (PDF, 5 page)
- 2007 Greater Combined Solicitation for Federal Funds (PowerPoint, 896 kb)
- Desktop Reference for Crash Reduction Factors (PDF, 113 page)