Safety is our first priority
- Minnesota's new Toward Zero Deaths goal – reaching 350 or fewer deaths by 2014
- See Minnesota Traffic Fatalities statistics
How does the MnDOT Safety Unit assist in meeting TZD's goals?
The safety unit focuses on the engineering component of Toward Zero Deaths. We develop safety plans, provide crash data projects and research reports.
Traffic Safety Navigation
Traffic Engineering Sites
Minnesota Traffic Fatalities YTD
Aug. 28, 2014 220
Aug. 28, 2013 233
Aug. 28, 2012 215
Toward Zero Deaths
Goal: 350 by 2014
Engineering solutions that improve safety:
- Centerline and edgeline rumble strips and stripes
- Improved lighting, signage and pavement markings
- Cable median barriers
- Turn lane improvements
- Intelligent transportation systems
- Advanced communications technologies
The Federal Highway Administration in accordance with SAFETEA-LU requires:
- Safety plans to be developed
- Projects be driven by data
- Project effectiveness determined and
- Results of these efforts reported to the Federal Highway Administration on an annual basis.
To comply, Minnesota has developed the Minnesota Strategic Highway Safety Plan and modified how safety projects are developed, funded and implemented.