Traffic Related Courses
ITS Design Training
Schedule: As needed
Next course: April 6-7, 2020 (Cancelled - to be rescheduled in summer or fall of 2020)
Course flier: Course announcement (Word)
This 1½ day ITS Design course is designed to enable the participants to obtain a high level of understanding of the fundamental concepts and MnDOT standard design practices related to the design and construction of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) within Minnesota. New technical information related to MnDOT standard specifications, special provisions, and plan development will be presented.
Audience: State, county, city, contractors and consultant personnel involved with the design and construction of Intelligent Transportation Systems.
Systems Engineering for ITS Workshop
Schedule: As needed
Last offered: Feb. 18-19, 2014
Past course flier: Course flier (PDF)
Description:The workshop will cover:
- Benefits of using systems engineering
- How to satisfy the Federal requirements for systems engineering as documented in Rule 940.11
- How to apply systems engineering to your traditional project delivery processes. A combination of lectures, transportation examples, and exercises will be used to illustrate the basic concepts and introduce the topics. The workshop will culminate with a review that will focus on the useful application of systems engineering in your specific project delivery process.
This two-day workshop includes two parts:
- Systems Engineering Training – Learn about systems engineering, moving from general concepts to the specifics of how systems engineering is being used for actual transportation projects.
- Process Improvement Review – The workshop participants apply what they have learned about systems engineering to their own project delivery process. The existing project delivery process and sample project deliverables are reviewed and discussed. Facilitators and participants will work together to develop a set of process improvement recommendations. Workshop participants will meet on the morning of the last day to discuss and refine preliminary recommendations.
Audience: Public sector professionals involved in ITS project delivery including project managers and transportation planning, design, construction, operations, and maintenance professionals that participate in ITS project development. Private sector consultants under contract to the public sector to support ITS planning and project development.