Continuing Education Unit and
Professional Development Hours
Minnesota requirements for licensure and registration can change often. Please check your requirements — whether the program qualifies for continuing education units or professional development hours.
Signal and Lighting Certification Test Out
A test out presumes the applicant has a broad knowledge of the material and is proficient in that area. Test outs are not for the convenience of the applicant and every effort should be made on their part to attend a certification or recertification class.
- Lighting Design
- Safety Courses
- Signing Design
- Traffic Signal
- Work Zone
- Other Traffic Related
- Corridor Simulation Modeling
- NHI Courses Federal Highway Administration
- LTAP Courses Minnesota Local Techinal Assistance Program
- CTS Events Center for Transportation Studies, University of Minnesota
- ITE Courses (web seminars)
Signal and Lighting Certification
- Jan. 13-14, 2015, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Feb. 18-19, 2015, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- April 28-29, 2015, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
This two-day course includes review of contract documents, Gopher One Call procedures, staking traffic signals, installation of Traffic Signal and Lighting components above and underground, final inspection of electrical systems, activating Traffic Signals and Roadway Lighting Systems, as-built plans. This course is designed to educate participants on MnDOT standard procedures for Traffic Signal and Lighting system inspection and construction. This class comes with 12 PDH (Professional Development Hours), 16 IMSA (International Municipal Signal Association) credits and 8 MnDLI Electrical/Elevator continuing education credits. See course announcement for more information (PDF 0.5 MB).
State, County, City, Contractors, and Consultants involved with the construction and inspection of MnDOT Traffic Signals and Lighting systems.
Signal and Lighting Recertification
- Jan. 15, 2015, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Feb. 20, 2015, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- April 30, 2015, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
This one-day course includes the latest changes in technology, signal and lighting hardware, specifications and procedures. See course announcement for more information (PDF 0.5 MB).
State, County, City, Contractors and Consultants whose Signal and Lighting certification is due for renewal.
Signal and Lighting Certification/Recertification Class Registration
- $150.00 Recertification per person - $250.00 certification per person
- Send one registration form for each applicant. Rank applicants if sending more than one person.
- Registration forms and payment must be received no later than two weeks prior to your preferred dates.
- Send completed registration forms with payment to:
Minnesota Department of Transportation - MS 635
395 John Ireland Boulevard
St. Paul, Minnesota 55155
- Obtain supervisor’s approval before registration.
- Register through your EDS no later than two weeks prior to your preferred date.
- GFS Payment Information: Agency: T79, Fund: 200, Org: 8405, Job:T07001 Activity Code: 0600, Approp: 023, Rev Source: 8700, and Subrev: 60
- EDSs must enter PV / Transaction # when enrolling employee in ECMS.
- Confirmations will be sent to paid registrants. Class size is limited, so early registration is recommended
- YOU ARE NOT REGISTERED UNTIL CONFIRMATION IS RECEIVED