Generated by the E-Magination Jam, this initiative will progress transparency by reaching agency customers through computer-based, collaborative technologies, tools and strategies. Tech connection projects seek to enhance communication, collaboration, and knowledge sharing within and outside the Department through the use of technology for the purposes of the increasing transparency, enabling innovation, and preserving institutional knowledge.Projects must support the Tech Connections goals of:
- Supporting a Collaborative Environment;
- Building Corporate Knowledge;
- Developing Mn/DOT’s Public Square; or
- Improving Communications.
What are we doing?
The Tech Connections Flagship Initiative includes about thirty projects, many of which will be addressed through the department-wide implementation of Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and Microsoft Lync. The SharePoint 2010 Implementation Project will include the development of guidance, strategy and training and include the following Tech Connections proposed rollout projects:
- Development of a Transportation Innovation Knowledge Network (TIKN), a website for accessing knowledge and resources related to research and innovation and providing for an open forum for discussion and questions regarding innovative ideas with our transportation partners.
- Implementation of MySites to allow for easily finding people, knowledge and resources within the department and including on-line organizational charts.
- Establishment of team collaboration sites for sharing knowledge, documents, discussions, workflows and project planning tools.
- Evaluation and implementation of Microsoft Lync for instant messaging and desktop conferencing features.
Other Projects Reviewed and Implemented:
- Updated social media policies and opened access to four social media sites (Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and Twitter). Mandatory e-Learning available with communications related to social media use.
- Public WiFi is available in the Mn/DOT library.
- Streaming Video: The Office of Information and Technology Services opened streaming video in January 2011.
- EJAM2 was conducted in November 2011. The top recommendations have been submitted to the Governor’s Better Government for a Better Minnesota program.
- Tech Connections is currently implementing a conference room technology plan which includes installation of conference room technologies, training and communication on how to use SMART Boards and other conference room technology effectively.
- SharePoint 2010 and Lync projects will be implemented in phases in 2011-2012.
- The Expanding Inclusivity Destination Innovation project is working to lessen or close the gap between remote work needs and available technology to enable employees to collaborate on projects from remote work locations.
SharePoint Implementation Project with rollouts in phases
Launch of Transportation Innovation Knowledge Network SharePoint website
Conference Room Technology and SMART Board training and communications
Technology inventory and needs assessment for Expanding Inclusivity project