Current construction impacts
Current traffic impacts
- Traffic is single-lane in both directions on Hwy 95 from the Hwy 36/95 intersection into downtown Stillwater through fall 2015.
- Traffic remains single lane on the ramp between Hwy 36 and Hwy 95 through fall 2015.
- All other roadways in the construction zone are fully open to traffic.
Crews have returned to complete the Minnesota roadway portion of the St. Croix Crossing Project. While the majority of work was completed in 2014, there are still some activities to be completed in 2015. Here is an overview of the remaining work and an estimated schedule for completion:
- All remaining trail and landscaping work.
Road surfaces (April-June)
- Grading activities will occur in April to prepare for the final layer of asphalt.
- A final layer of asphalt will be placed in early May, weather permitting, on most road surfaces.
- Permanent lines will be painted on the pavement – called striping.
Business driveways and local road connections (May-June)
- Modifications to some business driveways and local road connections on the S. Frontage Road will occur, including final grading activities and placement of curb, gutter, and final layer of asphalt.
- Business access will be available at all times.
- Communications staff will contact businesses prior to the start of driveway work.
Hwy 36/Hwy 95 ramp
- Traffic remains single lane east of Osgood Ave. until the ramp is complete.
N. Frontage Road realignment near Osgood Ave
- Construction will begin in early summer on the N. Frontage Road between Oren Ave. and Osgood Ave. See map (PDF)
- At least one lane of traffic will be maintained on Oren Ave. during construction.
- Construction is anticipated to be complete in fall 2015.
- Contact Eric Johnson, Oak Park Heights city administrator, at 651-439-4439 with questions about utility work.
- Contact Joe Campbell, Washington County construction engineer, at 651-430-4317 with questions about road work.
- Periodic pile driving for bridge falsework, the east bridge abutment and Pier 13 located on the Wisc. bluff will occur through spring 2015. Falsework is a series of temporary structures that support the bridge spans during construction until the bridge can support itself.
- Night work is underway at Piers 8 and 9 in the St. Croix River.
Current traffic impacts
- Beginning the week of April 27, traffic will switch to single-lane in both directions on the existing WIS 35/64 on the north end of the project limits.
- The south access to Anderson Scout Camp Rd from WIS 35/64 is expected close to traffic on May 4 until Sept. 2015. The detour is Anderson Scout Camp Rd north of 150th Ave at the Cty V interchange. Read more.
Wisconsin bluff construction activities
- Crews will clear trees as needed on the Wisc. bluff as part of east bridge abutment and Pier 13 construction. This will occur through spring 2015. The width of removal is limited to no more than 10 ft. beyond each side of the bridge.
- Construction of a temporary trestle out to the site of Pier 13--including periodic pile driving--is ongoing through spring 2015.
- Work is ongoing at Piers 8, 9 and 12 in the St. Croix River. Pier 8 is the river pier closest to Minnesota land and Pier 12 is closest to Wisconsin land. Crews are using a temporary causeway to access Pier 8 and barges/boats to access Piers 9-12.
- All five river pier locations are built to the height of the crossbeam. The crossbeam connects the upstream and downstream columns at each pier location.
- Crossbeam and pier table construction are complete at Piers 8 and 9. Crews have begun pier tower construction at these pier locations.
- Work at Piers 10 and 11 will resume in spring 2015.
- Crews anticipate beginning to install river bridge segments in late spring 2015.