Current construction impacts
Current traffic impacts
- Traffic is single-lane in both directions on Hwy 95 north of the Hwy 36/95 intersection through fall 2015.
- Traffic is single-lane on Hwy 36 between east of Osgood Ave and Hwy 95.
N. Frontage Road realignment near Osgood Ave
- Construction began in July on the N. Frontage Road between Oren Ave and Osgood Ave and is anticipated to be complete in fall 2015. See map (PDF)
- Contact Eric Johnson, Oak Park Heights city administrator, at 651-439-4439 with questions about utility work.
- Contact Joe Campbell, Washington County construction engineer, at 651-430-4317 with questions about road work.
Hwy 36/Hwy 95 ramp
- Traffic remains single-lane east of Osgood Ave until the ramp is complete.
- Periodic pile driving for bridge falsework and Pier 13 located on the Wisconsin bluff will occur through fall 2015. Falsework is a series of temporary structures that support the bridge spans during construction until the bridge can support itself.
- Periodic pile driving for cast-in-place approach bridge falsework on Minnesota land is underway through fall 2015.
- Night work is occurring at Piers 10 and 11 on the river through fall 2015.
Current traffic impacts
- Motorists are now using the new westbound WIS 64 lanes on the north end of the project. Current access to Thelen Farm Trail is from the east on County Rd E toward Houlton. The road will be gravel until early October.
- The new alignment for WIS 35/Cty Rd E and School Rd will open to traffic by mid-October. See map of current detour (PDF).
Wisconsin bluff construction activities
- Crews will clear trees as needed on the Wisconsin bluff as part of Pier 13 construction. This will occur through fall 2015. The width of removal is limited to no more than 10 ft. beyond each side of the bridge.
- Pier 13 construction is underway. Crews are currently driving foundation piling.
- Work is occurring at all five piers in the St. Croix River. Crews are using a temporary causeway to access Pier 8 and barges/boats to access Piers 9-12. Pier 8 is the river pier closest to Minnesota land and Pier 12 is closest to Wisconsin land.
- All five river pier locations are built to the height of the crossbeam. The crossbeam connects the upstream and downstream columns at each pier location.
- Crossbeam construction is complete at Piers 8-10 and 12 and is in progress at Pier 11.
- Pier table construction is complete at Piers 8, 9 and 12 and is underway at Pier 10.
- Pier tower construction is complete at Piers 8 and 9 and is in progress at Pier 12.
- Crews are installing pre-cast river bridge segments at Piers 8 and 9. Read more about the bridge deck construction process.
- Crews are installing stay cables at Piers 8 and 9.