Current construction impacts
Current traffic impacts
- Traffic is single-lane in both directions on Hwy 95 north of the Hwy 36/95 intersection through fall 2015.
- Traffic is single-lane on the ramp between Hwy 36 east of Osgood Ave and Hwy 95.
- Intermittent lane and shoulder closures in the construction zone will be ongoing through June as crews complete final roadway activities.
Crews are finishing up the Minnesota roadway portion of the St. Croix Crossing Project. While the majority of work was completed in 2014, there are still some activities to be completed in 2015. Below is an overview of the remaining work and an estimated schedule for completion:
- All remaining trail and landscaping work.
Road surfaces (In progress)
- Crews are placing a final layer of asphalt on most road surfaces.
- Crews are painting permanent lines on the pavement – called striping.
Business driveways (in progress)
- Crews are making modifications to some business driveways, including final grading activities and placement of curb, gutter and a final layer of asphalt.
- Business access will be available at all times.
Hwy 36/Hwy 95 ramp
- Traffic remains single-lane east of Osgood Ave until the ramp is complete.
N. Frontage Road realignment near Osgood Ave
- Construction will begin in early summer on the N. Frontage Road between Oren Ave. and Osgood Ave. See map (PDF)
- At least one lane of traffic will be maintained on Oren Ave. during construction.
- Construction is anticipated to be complete in fall 2015.
- Contact Eric Johnson, Oak Park Heights city administrator, at 651-439-4439 with questions about utility work.
- Contact Joe Campbell, Washington County construction engineer, at 651-430-4317 with questions about road work.
- Periodic pile driving for bridge falsework and Pier 13 located on the Wisc. bluff will occur through summer 2015. Falsework is a series of temporary structures that support the bridge spans during construction until the bridge can support itself.
- Night work is underway at Piers 8 and 9 in the St. Croix River.
Current traffic impacts
- Traffic is single-lane in both directions on the existing WIS 35/64 on the north end of the project limits.
- The south access to Andersen Scout Camp Rd from WIS 35/64 is closed until Sept. 2015. The detour is Andersen Scout Camp Rd north of 150th Ave at the Cty V interchange. See detour map (PDF).
Wisconsin bluff construction activities
- Crews will clear trees as needed on the Wisc. bluff as part of Pier 13 construction. This will occur through summer 2015. The width of removal is limited to no more than 10 ft. beyond each side of the bridge.
- Construction of a temporary trestle out to the site of Pier 13--including periodic pile driving--is ongoing through summer 2015.
- Work is ongoing at all five piers in the St. Croix River. Crews are using a temporary causeway to access Pier 8 and barges/boats to access Piers 9-12. Pier 8 is the river pier closest to Minnesota land and Pier 12 is closest to Wisconsin land.
- All five river pier locations are built to the height of the crossbeam. The crossbeam connects the upstream and downstream columns at each pier location.
- Crossbeam construction is complete at Piers 8, 9 and 12 and is in progress at Piers 10 and 11.
- Pier table construction is complete at Piers 8 and 9. This construction has started at Pier 12.
- Pier tower construction is in progress at Piers 8 and 9.
- Crews have begun installing river bridge segments at Pier 8. Read more about the bridge deck construction process.