Minnesota approach and bridge foundations work continue week of July 8; Expect increased traffic impacts beginning mid-July
St. Croix Crossing Weekly Project Update July 5, 2013
STILLWATER, Minn.— Motorists and boaters will experience similar ongoing traffic impacts on Highway 36, Highway 95, local roads and the St. Croix River during the week of July 8. New traffic impacts on Highway 36/Highway 95 will begin in mid-July.
Current traffic impacts/Minnesota approach work
Traffic impacts during the week of July 8 remain the same as in previous weeks, including:
- Intermittent lane closures on Highway 36 east of Osgood Avenue and lane shifts on Highway 95 from Lookout Trail to Point Road.
- Temporary bypass between Highway 36 and southbound Highway 95 from Beach Road and Stagecoach Trail. For safety, pedestrians are prohibited from using the bypass through the construction zone.
- Closed neighborhood access from 59th Street to Peller and Penrose avenues.
For complete details, visit www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing.
Current river impacts/bridge foundations work
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is enforcing a no wake zone on the entire St. Croix River because of high water levels. Once this is lifted, the St. Croix Crossing project’s no wake zone will still remain in effect.
Buoys between Stillwater and Bayport provide a designated work zone area and narrow the river channel to meet Coast Guard standards. After river levels decrease, MnDOT and WiSDOT request boaters to not create wakes in the restricted channel for the safety of crews working and equipment stability. They also request boaters to not enter the designated work zone.
Crews will work at all five pier locations in the river the week of July 8. This includes, pile driving, caisson installation and excavation for pier footings. Work will resume on Pier 8 the week of July 8. Work shifted from Pier 8 to Pier 12 when water levels rose.
Additional Hwy 36 and Hwy 95 impacts begin mid-July
Traffic changes will occur on Highway 36 east of Osgood Avenue and on Highway 95 between Lookout Trail and Point Road. Work will occur from mid-July to the end of the 2013 construction season.
- Single-lane traffic on Highway 36 from Osgood Avenue to Highway 95
- Temporary traffic signals at the junction of Highway 36 and Highway 95
- Weekend closure of Highway 95 later in the summer, to remove the flyover bridge at the junction with Highway 36.
Access to businesses along Highway 36 and Highway 95 will remain open at all times. For complete details, visit www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing.
Nighttime work near Hwy 36/Hwy 95 junction begins late-July
Nearby residents and businesses to the Highway 36/Highway 95 junction may experience some visual and noise disruptions while crews excavate and haul excess dirt during daytime and overnight hours Monday through Saturday beginning approximately at the end of July and continue through October.
Trucks hauling from the site will travel on Beach Road, Stagecoach Trail and Osprey Street in Bayport. Nighttime hauling is expected to begin approximately at the end of July and continue through mid-August. Additional nighttime hauling is possibly later into the season.
This work is needed to construct the Highway 36 extension to the new St. Croix Crossing Bridge.
The Minnesota approach project will be complete by fall 2014, and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will be complete in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, improved frontage road system and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the project office at 1862 Greeley St. S., Stillwater. Office hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and extended office hours occur Tuesdays until 6:30 p.m.