New Hwy 36, Hwy 95 traffic impacts in full swing week of July 22
St. Croix Crossing Weekly Project Update July 19, 2013
STILLWATER, Minn.— Motorists will continue to experience single-lane traffic on Highway 36 east of Osgood Avenue and temporary traffic signals on Highway 95 between Lookout Trail and Point Road as part of St. Croix Crossing construction. Access to businesses along Highway 36 and Highway 95 remain open at all times.
Highway impacts/Minnesota approach work
Traffic changes on Highway 36 and Highway 95 occurred Tuesday, July 16, and will continue through the end of September, weather permitting. Crews are reconstructing eastbound Highway 36 and the ramps to/from Highway 95. They are also realigning Highway 95, completing utility work and constructing trails.
Residents and businesses near Highway 36 east of Osgood Avenue may experience some noise disruptions beginning the week of July 22. Crews may begin removing asphalt in the construction zone.
The temporary bypass between Beach Road and Stagecoach Trail as well as access to local roads remains the same as previous weeks. Find details at www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing. To keep air quality impacts to a minimum, the construction areas are regularly watered for dust control.
River impacts/Bridge foundations work
Boaters on the St. Croix River will experience no new impacts, and the no wake worker safety zone is still in effect.
Buoys remain in place along the Minnesota and Wisconsin shoreline, providing a designated work zone area and narrowed river channel to meet Coast Guard standards. The no wake zone is in place for the safety of crews working and equipment stability.
Crews are working on three of the five pier locations—Pier 8 and Pier 9 closest to the Minnesota shoreline and Pier 12 closest to the Wisconsin shoreline. This includes pile driving, caisson installation and excavation for pier footings.
The general public is asked to stay clear of the staging area just north of Sunnyside Marina.
Future impacts near the Highway 36/Highway 95 junction
Beach Road bridge closure
- The Beach Road bridge is anticipated to close in early-August, weather permitting. Area residents are invited to a public meeting Monday, July 22, from 5:30-7 p.m. at the Oak Park Heights City Hall—14168 Oak Park Blvd. N., Stillwater, Minn. Attendees can get more information about the Beach Road closure and ask questions of project personnel.
- Nearby residents and businesses may experience some visual and noise disruptions beginning late-July, while crews excavate and haul excess dirt during daytime and overnight hours Monday through Saturday. This will continue through mid-August. Additional nighttime hauling is possible later in the season. This work is needed to construct the Highway 36 extension to the new St. Croix Crossing.
Highway 95 weekend closure
- Highway 95 will close over a weekend sometime in August, weather permitting. The closure is necessary to remove the flyover bridge from eastbound Highway 36 to northbound Highway 95.
The Minnesota approach project will be complete by fall 2014 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will be complete in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, improved frontage road system and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign-up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Download the new 511 mobile app or visit www.511mn.org
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S., Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, and extended office hours occur Tuesdays until 6:30 p.m.