Minnesota approach and bridge foundations work moves into new phase week of July 15; Expect increased traffic impacts
St. Croix Crossing Weekly Project Update July 12, 2013
STILLWATER, Minn.— Motorists will experience new traffic impacts along Highway 36, Highway 95 and local roads during the week of July 15 as a result of St. Croix Crossing construction. Access to businesses along Highway 36 and Highway 95 will remain open at all times. Boaters on the St. Croix River will experience no new impacts and the no wake worker safety zone is still in effect.
Current traffic impacts/Minnesota approach work
- Traffic changes are tentatively scheduled to occur in the early morning on Tuesday, July 16 on Highway 36, east of the Osgood Avenue intersection and on Highway 95 between Lookout Trail and Point Road.
(See map here: http://www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing/images/hwy36hwy95crossovermap.jpg)
- Early in the week of July 15 motorists heading northbound and southbound on Highway 95, south of the Highway 36/Highway 95 junction, will be moved to a temporary bypass for utility work across Highway 95 at 59th St. N. This area will be controlled by flaggers
For complete details, visit www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing.
Current river impacts/bridge foundations work
- The no wake zone for the entire St. Croix River was lifted this week; however, the no wake worker safety zone is still active.
- Buoys remain in place along the Minnesota and Wisconsin shoreline, providing a designated work zone area and narrowing the river channel to meet Coast Guard standards.
- MnDOT and WisDOT request boaters to not create wakes in the restricted channel for the safety of crews working and equipment stability and to not enter the designated work zone.
Public safety around the bridge foundation work site
- Work on four of the five pier locations in the river is ongoing. This includes pile driving, caisson installation and excavation for pier footings. The fifth pier is anticipated to be underway in mid-August.
- Work on the pier closest to the Minnesota shoreline is expected to resume this week.
- The general public is asked to stay clear of the staging area just north of Sunnyside Marina
Additional Hwy 36 and Hwy 95 impacts begin late-July/early-August
- The Beach Road bridge is anticipated to close late-July/early-August
Hwy 36/Hwy 95 junction
- Crews will begin to excavate and haul excess dirt during daytime and overnight hours Monday through Saturday beginning in late-July. This will continue through October. Residents may experience some visual and noise disruption.
- Trucks hauling from the site will travel on Beach Road, Stagecoach Trail and Osprey Street in Bayport. Nighttime hauling is expected to begin approximately at the end of July and continue through mid-August. Additional nighttime hauling is possibly later in the season.
- This work is part of constructing the Highway 36 extension to the new St. Croix Crossing
- A Highway 95 weekend closure may occur in early August. The closure is necessary to remove the flyover bridge from eastbound Highway 36 to northbound Highway 95.
Access to businesses along Highway 36 and Highway 95 will remain open at all times. For complete details, visit www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing.
The Minnesota approach project will be complete by fall 2014 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will be complete in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, improved frontage road system and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the project office at 1862 Greeley St. S., Stillwater. Office hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and extended office hours occur Tuesdays until 6:30 p.m.